Italian Sandwich from Maine, USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
There is a discussion of the bread under The Bread Catagory..

but what Fillings make a Maine Italian sandwich?

I Love the New York Italian sub sandwich we get here in Tx.

Eric, Austin Tx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, I wasn't aware Maine had a signature Italian sandwich.
Nor was I. And my brother-in-law, who is both a foodie and who spends 6 months a year in Maine, has never mentioned it, either.

A little Googling turns up this:
The Italian Sandwich Claims Another Soul | All Things Maine

It describes the ingredients as follows:
Bushey started on my sandwich, slicing the bread and filling it with slices of Genoa and provolone and a handful of chopped onion. Then she speared a whole pickle with a knife and sliced it by hand over the sandwich. She followed suit with the tomatoes, green pickles and olives.

Nor was I. And my brother-in-law, who is both a foodie and who spends 6 months a year in Maine, has never mentioned it, either.

Bushey started on my sandwich, slicing the bread and filling it with slices of Genoa and provolone and a handful of chopped onion. Then she speared a whole pickle with a knife and sliced it by hand over the sandwich. She followed suit with the tomatoes, green pickles and olives.

That's a salami and cheese sandwich in my eyes. An Italian includes a variety of meats along with condiments.

Consider Genoa salami hot and/or sweet Cappacola, mortadella, pepperoni, etc. For condiments: pickle, onion, tomato, hot peppers, oil and vinegar and herbs. At least, that's how we do it around here.

Steve Kroll said:

Yes that is what an Italian sandwich is to a Mainer! It may not be what others consider an Italian sandwich outside of Maine, but to a Mainer it is. It can be made with ham too.

Growing up in Maine, if you ordered an "italian" in a sub shop, this is the type that you would get.

There was a place called "the coffee pot" in Bangor Maine that was legendary for their version of this sandwich, they made hundreds a day. They didn't do special orders if I remember, you would just order the sandwich and they would hand it to you, as many as they sold they were usually only minutes old. I remember as a kid when mom would go to bangor, she'd buy a bag full of them for the family and the neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom