Italian weekend: the "frico" recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Luca the best pizza emerges from a wood fired oven. The best pizza I have eaten was a potato pizza near Pescara. I dont have a wood fired oven in the UK but I do have an old Bompani Range with a spit, the oven gets to 625f on a good day, I use a stone and make my own dough (50/50 milk and water) and still it does not taste the same, any tips.

In my personal experience, if you don't have a good oven fueled with good wood, you can't get the real thing. Even in Italy we have some barbarians that prepare pizzas with electric ovens, :LOL: but it's definitely not the same thing.
However I'll ask around to get some good guideline!

It's recipes like this that make me wish the hubby wasn't diabetic. I really miss potatoes.

I know what you're talking about. I had to CUT a lot of things, like bread and pasta (cutting, not deleting), thanks to blood glucose and gout...
Well, I've been eating like a hog for 40 years, now it's like I'm having a little rest... :cool:

Last edited:
Fortunately the hubby's various health problems have been able to be controlled through diet so far. So many of the medications he'd have to take otherwise have terrible side affects and a host of interactions with various foods, many of them healthy and part of his current diet to control his medical conditions. I'll gladly continue to keep potatoes to a rare indulgence so he can avoid all that nonsense. But I'm thinking this will definitely have to be our next dietary splurge. Haven't had potatoes in a few months.

Last edited:
Fortunately the hubby's various health problems have been able to be controlled through diet so far. So many of the medications he'd have to take otherwise have terrible side affects and a host of interactions with various foods, many of them healthy and part of his current diet to control his medical conditions. I'll gladly continue to keep potatoes to a rare indulgence so he can avoid all that nonsense. But I'm thinking this will definitely have to be our next dietary splurge. Haven't had potatoes in a few months.

Yes, diet can work very well, but I found out that you have to do a lot of homework (and that's good). My doctor just gave me a list of "forbidden" food: I suppose he believed I could survive eating gravel and blades of grass...
BUT I was forced to learn about food, how to count calories, how to build different weekly menus, learn new recipes and so on. :)

Back
Top Bottom