"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Luca the best pizza emerges from a wood fired oven. The best pizza I have eaten was a potato pizza near Pescara. I dont have a wood fired oven in the UK but I do have an old Bompani Range with a spit, the oven gets to 625f on a good day, I use a stone and make my own dough (50/50 milk and water) and still it does not taste the same, any tips.
In my personal experience, if you don't have a good oven fueled with good wood, you can't get the real thing. Even in Italy we have some barbarians that prepare pizzas with electric ovens, but it's definitely not the same thing.
However I'll ask around to get some good guideline!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #22
Executive Chef

It's recipes like this that make me wish the hubby wasn't diabetic. I really miss potatoes.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
It's recipes like this that make me wish the hubby wasn't diabetic. I really miss potatoes.
I know what you're talking about. I had to CUT a lot of things, like bread and pasta (cutting, not deleting), thanks to blood glucose and gout...
Well, I've been eating like a hog for 40 years, now it's like I'm having a little rest...
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Fortunately the hubby's various health problems have been able to be controlled through diet so far. So many of the medications he'd have to take otherwise have terrible side affects and a host of interactions with various foods, many of them healthy and part of his current diet to control his medical conditions. I'll gladly continue to keep potatoes to a rare indulgence so he can avoid all that nonsense. But I'm thinking this will definitely have to be our next dietary splurge. Haven't had potatoes in a few months.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Fortunately the hubby's various health problems have been able to be controlled through diet so far. So many of the medications he'd have to take otherwise have terrible side affects and a host of interactions with various foods, many of them healthy and part of his current diet to control his medical conditions. I'll gladly continue to keep potatoes to a rare indulgence so he can avoid all that nonsense. But I'm thinking this will definitely have to be our next dietary splurge. Haven't had potatoes in a few months.
Yes, diet can work very well, but I found out that you have to do a lot of homework (and that's good). My doctor just gave me a list of "forbidden" food: I suppose he believed I could survive eating gravel and blades of grass...
BUT I was forced to learn about food, how to count calories, how to build different weekly menus, learn new recipes and so on.

Tags
italian, montasio cheese, recipe

Italian weekend: the "frico" recipe Nice weekend in the Friuli region, NE Italy, with my old school friend Marco. I ate really well, not suprisingly, and spent very little, somewhat surprisingly... And I discovered a gooood culatello, the culatello from Sauris. But the most typical local recipe that we tasted was the "frico" with potatoes, that is cheese cooked with mashed potatoes. 4 servings: dice 400 g of Montasio cheese (or Asiago) into small pieces, then boil 400 g of potatoes and mash them up roughly with a fork. Put the mashed potatoes in a pan and sauté for 5 minutes (without adding fats). Add the cheese and press it into the mashed potatoes with a fork. Try to form a round shape with the potatoes and cheese in the pan. When the fritter is brown on the bottom, turn it without breaking it and get the other side brown, too. When both sides have turned brown, turn off the heat and leave for a couple of minutes, then remove the frico from the pan and serve it! The result must be crisp outside and soft inside. It's very simple, no fats, no added salt, just cheese and potatoes, but it's really tasty! Ciao! Or, as they say in Friuli, mandi! 3 stars 1 reviews