"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Italian weekend: the "frico" recipe

Nice weekend in the Friuli region, NE Italy, with my old school friend Marco. I ate really well, not suprisingly, and spent very little, somewhat surprisingly... And I discovered a gooood culatello, the culatello from Sauris. But the most typical local recipe that we tasted was the "frico" with potatoes, that is cheese cooked with mashed potatoes.
4 servings: dice 400 g of Montasio cheese (or Asiago) into small pieces, then boil 400 g of potatoes and mash them up roughly with a fork. Put the mashed potatoes in a pan and sauté for 5 minutes (without adding fats). Add the cheese and press it into the mashed potatoes with a fork. Try to form a round shape with the potatoes and cheese in the pan. When the fritter is brown on the bottom, turn it without breaking it and get the other side brown, too. When both sides have turned brown, turn off the heat and leave for a couple of minutes, then remove the frico from the pan and serve it! The result must be crisp outside and soft inside.
It's very simple, no fats, no added salt, just cheese and potatoes, but it's really tasty!

Ciao! Or, as they say in Friuli, mandi!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That sounds really tasty. Welcome to DC.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
That sounds really tasty. Welcome to DC.
Thank you.
Frico is tasty! Especially with a glass of good wine...

Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Master Chef

Sounds fabulous!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Master Chef

I confess to making fricos all the time. It's an addiction, they are so good.

I have access to all kinds of great cheeses here but Montasio is hard to find. Sometimes I bring it back from NYC but generally I make it with an aged asiago or manchego.

I also top mine with a lightly dressd arugula salad from my garden.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I confess to making fricos all the time. It's an addiction, they are so good.

I have access to all kinds of great cheeses here but Montasio is hard to find. Sometimes I bring it back from NYC but generally I make it with an aged asiago or manchego.

I also top mine with a lightly dressd arugula salad from my garden.
You're tempting me! How do you prepare this salad? I mean, you just dress the arugula (salt, oil, winegar?) and then place it on top of the frico?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
Thank you.
Frico is tasty! Especially with a glass of good wine...

Chin Chin Luca are you a Rossoneri? also do you cook the Scorfano fish.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Chin Chin Luca are you a Rossoneri? also do you cook the Scorfano fish.
Cin cin, Bolas.
YES I AM. Sempre forza Milan.

And for the scorfano, I don't, but since you're asking I think I will try it in the next days. I'll keep you informed!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
You're tempting me! How do you prepare this salad? I mean, you just dress the arugula (salt, oil, winegar?) and then place it on top of the frico?
I make the frico just as you do (more or less). I have experimented with shredded potato, too.

On the side I put the washed greens in a bowl and very lightly dress with a vinaigrette of some sort, depending on my mood.

I pile the greens on the frico when serving. The crispy, spicy arugula and the acid are very good counterparts to the cheesy frico. Plus then I can justify eating it as a whole meal since real vegetable matter is involved.

And of course, a glass or three of some good wine!

I am very glad you posted this recipe, as it couldnt be easier or more delicious!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I make the frico just as you do (more or less). I have experimented with shredded potato, too.

On the side I put the washed greens in a bowl and very lightly dress with a vinaigrette of some sort, depending on my mood.

I pile the greens on the frico when serving. The crispy, spicy arugula and the acid are very good counterparts to the cheesy frico. Plus then I can justify eating it as a whole meal since real vegetable matter is involved.

And of course, a glass or three of some good wine!

I am very glad you posted this recipe, as it couldnt be easier or more delicious!
Thank you!
I will surely try it, but with no more than one glass of wine (for each arugula leaf).

Tags
italian, montasio cheese, recipe

Italian weekend: the "frico" recipe Nice weekend in the Friuli region, NE Italy, with my old school friend Marco. I ate really well, not suprisingly, and spent very little, somewhat surprisingly... And I discovered a gooood culatello, the culatello from Sauris. But the most typical local recipe that we tasted was the "frico" with potatoes, that is cheese cooked with mashed potatoes. 4 servings: dice 400 g of Montasio cheese (or Asiago) into small pieces, then boil 400 g of potatoes and mash them up roughly with a fork. Put the mashed potatoes in a pan and sauté for 5 minutes (without adding fats). Add the cheese and press it into the mashed potatoes with a fork. Try to form a round shape with the potatoes and cheese in the pan. When the fritter is brown on the bottom, turn it without breaking it and get the other side brown, too. When both sides have turned brown, turn off the heat and leave for a couple of minutes, then remove the frico from the pan and serve it! The result must be crisp outside and soft inside. It's very simple, no fats, no added salt, just cheese and potatoes, but it's really tasty! Ciao! Or, as they say in Friuli, mandi! 3 stars 1 reviews