Jalebi (an Indian sweet) recipe for the festival of Holi
* 2 cups white flour
* 2 tablespoon semolina or rice flour
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 3-4 tablespoon plain curd (yogurt)
* 1 cup of warm water
* 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads (slightly dry-roasted and powdered)
* 3 cups of sugar
* 2-3 cups of water
* 1/2 teaspoon green cardamom seeds powder
* 1 tablespoon kewra water or rose water
* Ghee or vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Mix the flour, semolina or rice flour, baking powder, curd, water in a bowl (preferably a ceramic bowl) and mix well with a whisk.
2. Then add remaining water (if needed) and saffron powder, and whisk until the batter becomes smooth.
3. Keep aside for 2 hours to ferment.
4. Whisk thoroughly before use.
5. Prepare sugar syrup with sugar & water.
6. Just before the syrup is ready add saffron and cardamom powder.
7. Heat the oil in a big kadai, pour the batter in a steady stream (preferably coconut shell with a hole) in the kadai to form coils.
8. Make a few at a time.
9. Deep fry them until they are golden and crisp all over but not brown.
10. Remove the fried coils from the kadai and drain on a kitchen paper and immerse in the syrup.
11. Leave for at least 4-5 minutes so that they soak the syrup.
12. Take them out of the syrup and enjoy hot.