"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Master Chef

Blissful, there is a Korean grocery store in the same strip mall right next to Penzey's spices, across the street from Whole Foods, on University. You walk into the store and go to the far left aisle, and the bags are on the bottom shelf on the right side (the first time I went, years ago, I missed them because they are so low!). There are several brands, I bought the smallest bag simply because I only make a few jars at a time. If the youngest gal is there, her English is excellent, and she can guide you to which brand would be best for your needs. The bag I bought is a pound, says "crushed red pepper" (in addition to the Korean words), and actually has a recipe in English on the back (I've been making it for years and just do my own thing based on taste). The brand is Haitai, but they carry several brands and since they all just contained chile flakes, I doubt there's that much difference.

To those who are going for it for the first time, the main difference between the "right" chili flakes and the one readily available in the U.S. is that Korean ones do not contain seeds. I've made kimchee using the Vietnamese sauces and the regular American chili flakes, but it doesn't seem right!

Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Hi Blissful, when you say that you are planning on putting some kimchee away for the winter, do you mean in the fridge or some cold root cellar? I've not seen canned kimchee outside the fridge section and I am not sure that even those are formally canned. You will have to let me know how that works out. I like to put shredded carrots and small dried shrimp in mine. I had an oriental grocer tell me that there wasn't a difference between Korean chili powder and cayenne, the only advantage from buying from an oriental grocer, is that you can buy it in bulk. I've used both and cannot tell a substantial difference. good luck!

Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbe View Post
Hi Blissful, when you say that you are planning on putting some kimchee away for the winter, do you mean in the fridge or some cold root cellar? I've not seen canned kimchee outside the fridge section and I am not sure that even those are formally canned.
I've seen canned kimchee by mail order--I'm certain it's not refrigerated, though, I have no idea what kind of quality someone would find in it since I've not tried it.

I WANTED TO put some up-can it, but, I don't see a way to do it without using premium shelf space in the fridge, or keeping a fermented batch in the basement root cellar. I wanted to can it without refrigeration but it doesn't seem possible.

I've come to the conclusion, that some things cannot be canned, even though some food producers have ways of canning them. For instance, chicken noodle soup, I've not heard of a way to can that because of the noodles, it's too specialized a process for the home canner. Also, thick consistency things like mashed pumpkin/hubbard squash--it's too thick to can safely.

Claire, again, thank you for your experiences with this. :)
Old 08-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Head Chef

On the bright side.... every Asian market I have been to always has the ingredients needed for kimchee, and always at prices significantly below common grocery store prices. Like napa cabbage is 89 cents/pound vs $1.69....

So you can just make it as you want it if there is such a grocery around! :)

Just bought some Haitai pepper today too. I personally believe that this chili has a significant taste difference vs cayenne, as well as being coarsely ground... kimchee isn't the same without it.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
Head Chef

Thanks for all the answers!

I made some kimchee (kimchi) yesterday, with chili and red peppers, cabbage, green onions, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar.......and it's fermenting. It smells good and is just starting to ferment a little. I watched at least 10 videos on making kimchee.
I'm looking forward to eating it.
Now I'm thinking of growing some ginger, they say it takes 10 months.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Head Chef

Foolish me.... a local Korean grocery store is having a kimchi contest, and I am going to enter it.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Foolish me.... a local Korean grocery store is having a kimchi contest, and I am going to enter it.
Sounds like fun, let us know how it goes!!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
Head Chef

I am now an AWARD WINNING kimchi fermenter, LOL!
Tied for 3rd place, got a $50 gift certificate to the store.
Not bad for the only non Oriental entrant that I could tell.
(And the only winner who had to show their ID, hahahahahaaha!)

Old 09-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Congratulations!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Congrats on the win!

Tags
None