"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Kimchi

I'm looking for a tested reliable recipe for kimchi (or kimchee) and was wondering if anyone here has one they use....

I don't shy away from hot, so chiles are fine...

I tried making it once from a recipe that a former foster mom gave me from a "hippie" book but it turned out way too salty and i dont think i let it ferment long enough..
Been craving it so im willing to try again! :)

Edit------- am also looking to refresh my memory of a soup i tried (korean?) named "dal" ? I dont know the correct spelling....... it was made with a poached egg in middle ?? sorry its been a few years!

Thanks

Old 09-28-2006, 04:19 AM   #2
Contest Winner

I love love love kimchi! It is so tasty and easy to make. I have had good success following this recipe I usually omit the onion juice though because I found it to be too oniony when I used it.

I've also made a simple kimchi by just chopping up napa cabbage, sprinkling with a bunch of salt and letting it sit in a big tupperware at room temperature for about 12 hrs or until the cabbage starts releasing its water. I will then drain and rinse the cabbage and then add in 1/2 thinly sliced onion and a few squirts of Sriracha chili sauce.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Master Chef

We eat kimchi all the time, and mostly buy it in 64 ounce jars. But I have made it from scratch. I have a kimchi cookbook with various recioes organized by season and have had good success with most, but before I got the book I used recipe whch works well.

It is a bit challenging to get the correct fish sauce (most kimchi has a fermented fish product in it as a backnote)-- called "kimchi sauce" in this recipe (it's not Thai) and chili pepper (Korean is unique) to make it taste completely authentic.

Asked my korean friend about the soup and was told pal/dal means egg. Can you describe it more fully?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Master Chef

My holistic practitioner friend swears by Kimchi...he says all the little organisms working in it are very good for the digestive system.
I've never tried it. My husband complains enough about the way my sauerkraut smells...I can only imagine the comments he'd make about the "aroma" of Kimchi.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
My holistic practitioner friend swears by Kimchi...he says all the little organisms working in it are very good for the digestive system.
I've never tried it. My husband complains enough about the way my sauerkraut smells...I can only imagine the comments he'd make about the "aroma" of Kimchi.
You go that right! Sauerkraut smells like fine French perfume by comparison!

I love kimchi but almost can't stand the odor in my fridge ...
Old 09-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Head Chef

I have never tasted Kimchi but I know that you can buy it in the market.
Someday I may try it.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan85
...am also looking to refresh my memory of a soup i tried (korean?) named "dal" ? I dont know the correct spelling....... it was made with a poached egg in middle ?? sorry its been a few years!

Thanks
Dal would be Indian, I'd think.Dal is a soupy mixture of lentils with spices. Love the stuff myself!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #8
Master Chef

Dol means stone in Korean

Guk is "soup"
Old 09-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the answers, ive been at work the past couple days prepping for oktoberfest (big at a microbrewery haha)
I'll get back to the replies in detail a little later......
Jennyema, your recipe sounds delicious, but ive never heard of kimchi sauce before lol.... i wonder what its made of........... ? lol
Old 10-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
Master Chef

I make my own kimchee because I don't like it fermented or with fish sauce. I make both napa cabbage and cucumber. Husband (who lived in Korea)(my experience is from Korean military wives) loves mine and calls it "spring" kimchee (as opposed to the pots of it that have been sitting in the ground all year). I found a recent product of pickled hot garlic which is a great short cut. I make it every month or two.

Tags
None