Korean Food Is So Much More Than Kalbi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
What to Order on a Korean Menu: Go for the Soups - WSJ

My husband and I FINALLY found a Korean restaurant here in the middle of the desert, we were so happy, and filled.
Then we saw this article in the WSJ about Korean food... well worth the read.
If by chance you have a Korean restaurant in your area, please do try it, or maybe even try one of the recipes at the end of the article, we particularly like the Kalibijjim, mmm!
Winter still has it's grip on a good part of the Northern Hemisphere right now, why not try something exotic as well as body & soul warming.

Soju! Give me Soju!:wacko: You don't need a restaurant, make it at home. We started doing so long before we went to a Korean restaurant.:yum:

Definitely try bibimpap. We love this recipe Bibimbap - Korean Mixed Rice with Meat and Assorted Vegetables - My Korean Kitchen and make everything but the seaweed salad (I don't like the texture) to go with it. A lot of prep but it's really good and has become one of my favorites.

Craig didn't mention it but we tried a local Korean place back in November when our grand-daughter (13) was here that had very good reviews. Got literally a table full of food. She tried everything and liked nearly all of it. Granted she loves to go out and eat, and her dad is not an adventurous foodie by any means so it's Chili's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, occasionally a nice seafood place for them, but she was excited about going and trying something different. She wants to make bibimpap with me next time she comes. She thinks her dad might even like it.

CraigC, funny...soju, mm good. My son in law brought back some from Korea..it is gone now. Drank most of it, but I cooked with it too. Do you or have you cooked with it? I have cooked with it, made sauces with it and even dips LOL...

Hi Medtran49,
Love bibimbap, my favorite is and Yukhoe (raw meat) and Hoedeopbap (raw fish), however, I do like the Dolsot Bibimbap, especially in winter. I just made some this past week. We eat Bibimbap or Chirashizushi almost once or twice a week.. at home. I love to cook, or in this case... uncook. I hope you and your granddaughter have a great time!

Hi Kaneohegoinaz..I agree, I miss Hawaii too. I don't know if your Korean restaurant has it, but some places do...called Dutbop/Dubop, etc. Usually made with pork or beef and even chicken, with the Korean red pepper spice with thin slices of onion, seasoned with garlic, etc....mm good. Anyway, I see you live in AZ. I lived there also and after relocating traveled for my job there in Scottsdale/Phoenix. My point is that whenever I went there I would go to the (Guadalajara) Farmers Market to pick up some salsa. If they still have it, it is one of the best. They have a hot one that I buy in cases and ship home. I'm a big chilihead. I also had hot peppers roasted and packed it in a large cooler and flew it home...miss Arizona too. I don't even know if the market is still there. It's been about 8 years or more now.

Back
Top Bottom