Korean Kimchi ... ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohayo

Assistant Cook
Hello

I really want to make kimchi, but I have some questions

All th recipes I found had sugar, In this country we don't add sugar to anything unless it's a desert

so do I have to add sugar, and dose it have big effect on the kimchi taste ?

I can't answer your question but I know someone who can. She'll be on tomorrow. I will send a link to jennyema. Someone else may be able to answer though. Please check back tomorrow also.

What country is "this country"? From the name I would assume perhaps Japan?

Sugar is added to a lot of savory foods, ham glaze or many stir fry's, for instance. Anything with a sweet/salty contrast.

At any rate, I've never made my own kimchi but it is indeed delicious. Best of luck.

Most kimchi recipes call for a very small amount of sugar.

Sugar is added to savory recipes of many cuisines because, combined with salt, it enhances the savory flavor of the food.

Here's one kimchi recipe I have made before and like.

thank you for all the replies

I guess I will make a small amount to taste

I am not from japan, it more like the middle east

Kimchi kimchee

Is Korean

I would guess it is not only meant to offset the spicy hot chili paste,

but to help in fermenting. Sugar is used in brewing and other processes,

when the sugars converts to CO2 you have successfully gained energy and

the fermentation process.

I love kimchi in stir-frys, soups, salads, burgers, burritos.......and as Banchan

So I guess adding sweetners such as Splender to Kimchi may not be good for fermentation purposes?

If you are attempting to prepare something from another culture - you may want to follow the recipe the first time, even if it does not conform to the way you do things in your culture.

Kim chi comes in many forms in Korea Chinese cabbage being among the most popular
but it is made with many different vegetables and a touch of sugar really helps the flavor come out. I lived in Japan for two years with a Korean mamasan for a land lady and ate tons of her Kim Chi now I make my own and love it

Most kimchi recipes call for a very small amount of sugar.

Sugar is added to savory recipes of many cuisines because, combined with salt, it enhances the savory flavor of the food.

Here's one kimchi recipe I have made before and like.

That recipe looks great. I am going to try it. I noticed your in MA. Where is there a Korean market?

That recipe looks great. I am going to try it. I noticed your in MA. Where is there a Korean market?

There is a Korean market in Union Sq. in Somerville. I forget the name, though.

All the Super 88's carry Korean stuff.

there is a huge Korean superstore, Super H Mart, opening this fall in Burlington

There is a Korean market in Union Sq. in Somerville. I forget the name, though.

All the Super 88's carry Korean stuff.

there is a huge Korean superstore, Super H Mart, opening this fall in Burlington

Jen, do you know where in Burl.? That's not far from me.

Andy

Someone at Chowhound said it'll be located behind the Burlington Market Basket in the old Decathlon/La-Z Boy building.

I have no idea where that is, but will definitely be finding out!

Thanks, Jen. It's near the Burlington Mall on Middlesex Turnpike. There is an exit off Rt.128 (I 95) for the Middlesex Turnpike near the Rt. 3 interchange.

That's a pretty high rent district for a Korean market. The other ethnic markets are on the other side of town.

Thanks, Jen. I'm looking forward to their being there. Burlington is close and I know it well. I lived there for 18 years. My daughter lives there now and I'm going to have to find out why she didn't tell me about it!

Back
Top Bottom