"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-05-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Use spam. Yummy

Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
Master Chef

How timely this line is. We just had a Korean-American friend to visit and we had this very discussion. Last year we co-hosted a sushi party and found that most midwest americans find nori unpallatable. Our friends were tellling us that Koreans use something else, but I doubt I can find anything but the spinach here. I will try it though.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
Master Chef

Clair,

Maybe I don't understand ...

Nori is used for all kinds of Japanese rolls in sushi restaurants in the midwest. How could it be unpalateable?

It's also used for the Korean kimbop, which uses spinach as a component of the filling.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #14
Master Chef

I'm really not sure why some find it unpalatable. I'm not sure if it is a texture thing or flavor thing. But it is always the biggest problem when introducing sushi to unexperienced people (I'm saying midwest, but I've introduced many people from many parts of the country to sushi successfully, and it is always the nori that people balk at). If you make the kind of sushi that is a square of rice with a slice of ..... something ..... on top, it goes over better with many. I think that California rolls are more popular (yes, even with me!), because the nori is not on the outside. So it must be more texture.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #15
Master Chef

Nigiri sushi = with the raw fish on the rice -- personally I'd rather eat the nori!!

Sometimes I make miso soup and shred some nori into it (We always have some nori in the fridge). I like the taste, but agree that it's probably an acquired thing.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I can definitely see nori putting people off... personally, I'm surprised so many Americans like it, considering how different it is from the foods we're used to.

You keep nori in the fridge? Is that something I should be doing? Also, does that help keep it crisp? Mine is fine when rolling, but once it's cut and ready, it gets pretty chewy.

Any suggestions on keeping the crunch, aside from refridgerating the rolls for a couple days?

Tags
None