Lasagne alla Bolognese - Layering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicholas Mosher

Sous Chef
Haven't posted in a while, but I've had a couple days off from school and migrated into the kitchen for a great change of pace.
Ok, quick question.

How do you guys layer yours? Pasta, Bolognese Sauce, Besciamella, and grated cheese. Do you start with pasta or sauce? Do you include both bolognese sauce and besciamella in each layer with cheese or segregate them into layers between various layers of pasta? Cheese on top is a given, but do you coat the top layer with besciamella too (under the cheese)?

I've got a killer batch of Bolognese sauce I made yesterday, and today I'd like to make the Besciamella and cook the Lasagne.

Thanks a bunch! :pig:

I start with beschamel, because I like a white base, then pasta, sause, beschamel (sometimes with cheese then, sometimes cheese on top), then pasta, sauce, beschamel, etc and yes, beschamel ontop of the sauce under the cheese at the top.

Nicholas Mosher said:
Haven't posted in a while, but I've had a couple days off from school and migrated into the kitchen for a great change of pace.
Ok, quick question.

How do you guys layer yours? Pasta, Bolognese Sauce, Besciamella, and grated cheese. Do you start with pasta or sauce? Do you include both bolognese sauce and besciamella in each layer with cheese or segregate them into layers between various layers of pasta? Cheese on top is a given, but do you coat the top layer with besciamella too (under the cheese)?

I've got a killer batch of Bolognese sauce I made yesterday, and today I'd like to make the Besciamella and cook the Lasagne.

Thanks a bunch! :pig:

Welcome back, Nicholas.

I always start with a layer of sauce, in the pan. I use one sauce, but if you are using two different sauces, I would keep them separate i.e. sauce, pasta, filling (i.e. ricotta mixed w egg & herbs/spices), cheese, pasta, your second sauce can go here, and keep layering/repeating.

I don't use Bolognese Sauce in Lasagne. If I'm using meat at all, I use a "regular" tomato-based meat sauce.

I start layering with a schmear of whatever sauce I'm using in the bottom, then the first layer of noodles, and so on.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm I wish I had some for tonight! :LOL: You're making me hungry!

Well I didn't bother finishing it tonight because I was tossed up in turmoil over how to layer. So I'll be making the besciamella and putting it all together in the morning when I get out of work tonight.

Doing some research, I see that the traditional method is to include both the bolognese and besciamella between the same pasta sheets along with a bit of parmesen cheese (I'm going to add a touch of mozz too... can't resist!).

BUT - even then there are options. Mario Batali suggests bolognese smear, noodle, besciamella/bolognese/cheese, noodle, besciamella/bolognese/cheese, noodle, besciamella/bolognese/cheese, noodle, besciamella/cheese. Since I essentially stole my bolognese recipe from him, I think I may go that route.

But the idea of distinct layers also appeals to me. Ah well... gonna' go the Batali route I think. Thanks for the input guys/gals - it was great to see a sampling of how you guys divvy up the goods.

Off to sleep for me... :sleep: ZZZzzz...

Back
Top Bottom