Last Supper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Storage foods would have figured prominently in the diet of that time. Apples, nuts, and grains would have been staples.

This is quite interesting. I had read some internet articles about what may have been served. I was wondering if someone here might have some personal insight from a parent or grandparent, or family tradition of the Passover meal or other occasion of Jewish or Israeli heritage that might be indicative of a typical supper of that time. Perhaps it is too confusing because I always thought it was the Passover but, apparently, it was before the Passover that the Last Supper occurred. I do find it all very interesting. It would be something if Simcha Jacobovici would do a show on this. Maybe he has and I just haven't seen it.

Very interesting reading indeed....AND the links within the article. I've personally concluded (which really means nothing), that there's no reason to believe this holy night would have been anything other than a typical Seder of the time. Leonardo DiVinci seemed to think they ate eels and oranges, as after the 1997 restoration of the painting it seems to have revealed images of plates of grilled eel with orange slices. Keep in mind he was an Italian, likely to have been influenced by his favorite foods.:rolleyes: It would be highly unlikely that Jesus would have eaten eel as eel is not Kosher.
As the article mentioned, DiVinci probably just included eel because that was something he ate. Likely, since Peruvian paintings included guinea pigs in the meal. :ermm:

As the article mentioned, DiVinci probably just included eel because that was something he ate.
I guess my point is, it sounds pretty odd that he didn't have a clue that eel is not Kosher. You'd think Leo could have done some homework. :LOL:
Leo, Leo, Leo. :rolleyes:

Nor are Guinea Pigs for that matter.

Last edited:
This is quite interesting. I had read some internet articles about what may have been served. I was wondering if someone here might have some personal insight from a parent or grandparent, or family tradition of the Passover meal or other occasion of Jewish or Israeli heritage that might be indicative of a typical supper of that time. Perhaps it is too confusing because I always thought it was the Passover but, apparently, it was before the Passover that the Last Supper occurred. I do find it all very interesting. It would be something if Simcha Jacobovici would do a show on this. Maybe he has and I just haven't seen it.

Here is a very interesting article that addresses some of the questions in your post. I believe the actual article was written in 2001, but has some great info that I was not aware of.

Was the Last Supper a Passover Seder - InterfaithFamily.com

I guess my point is, it sounds pretty odd that he didn't have a clue that eel is not Kosher. You'd think Leo could have done some homework. :LOL:
Leo, Leo, Leo. :rolleyes:

Nor are Guinea Pigs for that matter.

This is actually surprising. DaVinci was scrupulous with details, researching elements of his art to ensure accurate representation.

He went as far as dissecting human cadavers so he could study the skeleton and musculature to ensure his renderings of the human body were correct.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom