"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for an Easy Curry Chicken Recipe

I am looking for an easy curry chicken recipe. I want to use a mild curry powder, and I want as few steps and ingredients as possible. I'm looking for a recipe with at least 8 servings.

I hope this is possible. I saw a chef on Food Network cooking curry chicken, and it looked delicious. I just can't find the recipe!

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I know how to make Jamaican style curry chicken. It's really easy : )

You can use any kind of chicken cut into small pieces. Bone-in or out is up to you. I like the nutrition from the marrow so I usually leave the bones in and chop the pieces up with a cleaver. You can keep the skin on or remove it. Sometimes I reduce the amount of oil if I leave the skin and fat on.

We get a lot of our spices from asian or hispanic grocery stores. They usually carry cellophane bags of spices and we refill old spice jars or keep them in labeled baby food jars. They are usually 1 dollar each compared to 5 dollars and up for some spices at regular stores.

1 large or 2 medium starchy veggies - Potato, yam, sweet potato or cassava (yucca)
2 carrots
1 medium onion or 2 scallions
chicken - at least 1 lb.
2 T. oil - coconut if available, margarine, butter or vegetable oil is fine also
allspice - powdered or in balls
curry powder
garlic - fresh, powder or flakes
ginger - fresh or powdered

(optional)
greens - collard, kale, mustard
browning sauce - a t. of sauce (if you can find it - super-walmart usually carries a brand called kitchen bouquet in the spices near the gravy flour and cornstarch, or you can use a little liquid smoke)

Peel and slice the starchy veggies into bite sized pieces. Chop the onion or scallion and peeled carrot. Put the veggies and chicken in a large pot with the spices and oil. I usually use at least a couple T of the curry. You can adjust the amount for your own preference. I usually use about a T. of garlic if fresh and about a t. if powdered. Add the ginger - 1 t. powdered or peel and grate a 1" piece - take the stringy fibrous parts out and use the grated bits and the juice. Add the allspice - 6-8 balls or 1 t. If you like greens, chop them into fine pieces and add for added nutrition.

Add enough water to cover the top of the mixture. Bring to a boil and then cook on medium low til the vegetables are tender and the meat takes on a yellowish tone. Usually about 30-45 minutes. If the liquid cooks out add more water as needed so it doesnt scald to the bottom of the pan. It will cook down until the water, vegetable starch, oil and meat juices make a thick gravy. Add salt to taste.

We usually eat curry chicken with plain rice or rice and peas (red beans and rice with coconut milk).

Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Meliscious,
Thanks for this recipe! Looks simple enough for me!

Can I make this recipe without veggies if I want?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Just to clarify, cassava is not this kind of yucca:

Old 12-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

You can make it with just meat but I would double the amount of meat you use or cut down on the spices. The thickness of the sauce is partly because of the vegetable starch so you might want to use a little bit of flour mixed with cold water to thicken it at the end.

Thats a YUCA plant not yucca root. LOL I don't know anyone who uses decorative plants from their yard for cooking so im not sure what the point of the pic was but any produce person at the grocery store can point out the cassava to you if they have it. Most western people call it yucca or yucca root because the hispanic term for it is more common than the caribbean and african term. Polynesian people call it taro root.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The point of the picture was in case anyone else was confused. It sure as heck confused me. And it's the cassava that is spelled "yuca", not the desert plant - it's the one spelled "yucca".

It may be decorative, but so are peach trees. We had decorative strawberry plants and we certainly ate those strawberries.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Handi Murgh made with thighs or drumsticks this is based on 4 so its easy to adjust

4 thighs
1 tbls of ghee or clarified butter
4 cloves of garlic chopped
2" piece of ginger grated
2 tbls curry paste ( add veg oil to make paste)
1 tbls tom purree
8oz finely chopped onion
5oz chopped toms
1 tsp dried mint
1tbls chopped fresh coriander.

Heat the ghee in a pan, add the garlic fry for 1 min, add the ginger fry for 1 min, add C/paste and tom puree and fry till it sizzles, add the onion and fry for about 5 mins, add just enough chicken stock to make a gravy not soup, stir well to free off any stuck bits, add the chicken when the gravy is bubbling reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins turning a few times, add toms,mint, coriander, simmer for 10 mins.Season

This is really a standard gravy you can add steamed left over turkey or chicken cubes when you reach the gravy stage but only simmer for five mins before moveing on to add the toms ect, you can add chillies and black pepper to increase the heat.
Lemon juice, a bit of brown sugar and some cooked lentils with some of the lentil water to make dhansak.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Handi Murgh made with thighs or drumsticks this is based on 4 so its easy to adjust

4 thighs
1 tbls of ghee or clarified butter
4 cloves of garlic chopped
2" piece of ginger grated
2 tbls curry paste ( add veg oil to make paste)
1 tbls tom purree
8oz finely chopped onion
5oz chopped toms
1 tsp dried mint
1tbls chopped fresh coriander.

Heat the ghee in a pan, add the garlic fry for 1 min, add the ginger fry for 1 min, add C/paste and tom puree and fry till it sizzles, add the onion and fry for about 5 mins, add just enough chicken stock to make a gravy not soup, stir well to free off any stuck bits, add the chicken when the gravy is bubbling reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins turning a few times, add toms,mint, coriander, simmer for 10 mins.Season

This is really a standard gravy you can add steamed left over turkey or chicken cubes when you reach the gravy stage but only simmer for five mins before moveing on to add the toms ect, you can add chillies and black pepper to increase the heat.
Lemon juice, a bit of brown sugar and some cooked lentils with some of the lentil water to make dhansak.
Thanks Bolas, that recipe made my mouth water like crazy! Yum City!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Cook

Simple & easy. Here we go.

Heat a large, deep skillet with some veg oil or ghee if you have it.
Add a med chopped white onion, a scoop of minced garlic.
Add 1-2lbs of boneless chicken breasts or thighs or both and heat till cooked flipping & stirring occasionally.
Stir in 1-1/2 tablespoons of yellow curry powder or Caribbean curry powder
Add 1/4 cup of white wine or chicken stock & stir to de glaze the pan.
Add 1 can of coconut milk.
Add 1 cup of frozen green beans & a bit of chopped spinach, cilantro or corriander whatever your taste.
Simmer for 20 min or so stirring occasionally.
Add some chopped red pepper for the last 5 min if you like. adds nice color and good crispy bits.

Serve over rice. I like basmati with it.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

This sounds amazing. I make a chicken curry stew that is similar to this but with a Dahl and Greek yogurt.

Tags
chicken, curry, easy, other, recipe

Looking for an Easy Curry Chicken Recipe I am looking for an easy curry chicken recipe. I want to use a mild curry powder, and I want as few steps and ingredients as possible. I'm looking for a recipe with at least 8 servings. I hope this is possible. I saw a chef on Food Network cooking curry chicken, and it looked delicious. I just can't find the recipe! Thanks in advance! 3 stars 1 reviews