Looking for Korean Chap Chae Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toni1948

Senior Cook
I have only had Korean Chop Chae one time years ago and I was in love. I would love to learn how to make it. Does anyone have a recipe for Chop Chae.

Toni

From The Korean Kitchen: Classic Recipes from the Land of the Morning Calm by Copeland Marks and Manjo Kim, as amended by Claire.

3 oz Korean Vermicelli (I personally use one package of any rice or bean based thin, clear noodle)
3T oil
1 large onion, coarsly choppled
1/2 lb flank or siroin stead, thin sliced
1 julienned carrot
1 small green pepper, julienned
1/2 lb chives or green onions
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 T soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/3 c tree ears (for convience sake I use any mushrooms, but of course when you can get these they're the best), rehydrated and chopped

1. boil 4 c water. Add the noodles and boil for 3 minutes. it is easy to overcook these, so watch it. Drain and rinse and drain again.

2. heat oil in wok, sautee onions, then add beef and other veggies. I have to laugh at this point. My ingredient list on this does not have spinach, but it is mentioned here. I like fresh spinach in this and would add a handful or two at this point.

3. Salt, sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir fry for another minute. I mix all these ingredients in a cup (usually a 1 cup pyrex measuring cup for convenience of pouring) so that they are blended and ready to go. If you like food zippy, add a pinch of hot peppers as well.

Claire said:
From The Korean Kitchen: Classic Recipes from the Land of the Morning Calm by Copeland Marks and Manjo Kim, as amended by Claire.

3 oz Korean Vermicelli (I personally use one package of any rice or bean based thin, clear noodle)
3T oil
1 large onion, coarsly choppled
1/2 lb flank or siroin stead, thin sliced
1 julienned carrot
1 small green pepper, julienned
1/2 lb chives or green onions
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 T soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/3 c tree ears (for convience sake I use any mushrooms, but of course when you can get these they're the best), rehydrated and chopped

1. boil 4 c water. Add the noodles and boil for 3 minutes. it is easy to overcook these, so watch it. Drain and rinse and drain again.

2. heat oil in wok, sautee onions, then add beef and other veggies. I have to laugh at this point. My ingredient list on this does not have spinach, but it is mentioned here. I like fresh spinach in this and would add a handful or two at this point.

3. Salt, sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir fry for another minute. I mix all these ingredients in a cup (usually a 1 cup pyrex measuring cup for convenience of pouring) so that they are blended and ready to go. If you like food zippy, add a pinch of hot peppers as well.

Claire, thank you so much. I really love this dish and it looks easy to prepare. I'll have to go out and get the noodles, steak, spinach, and mushrooms. But I have everything else. I may even add a little rice wine to it.

Again, thank you.

Toni

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom