Looking for Lebanese food recipes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceralia

Assistant Cook
Hello all.

I am new here and looking for some basic / classic Lebanese recipes to add to my collection.

Thanks,

Ceralia

Buonasera Ceralia,

Several months ago during January and Fenruary 2012, I had placed some recipes for:

1) babaghanuj ( eggplant & tahine )
2) hummus ( chickpea & tahine )

*** in the Ethnic Section along with numerous Greek recipes as well ...

Is there a specific recipe that you are looking for ?

Welcome Aboard to D.C.
Kind regards and have a lovely Tuesday.
Ciao, Margaux Cintrano

Hi and welcome Ceralia.

If anyone has a TNT (tried 'n true) recipe for shish taouk and/or schwarma, I would love to have it.

In the "Mediterranean Diet Cookbook" (Jenkins), there is a wonderful Lebanese garlic sauce recipe. Also, Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet), was of Lebanese decent. He had a series of books on Immigrant cooking, which included Lebanese recipes.

In the "Mediterranean Diet Cookbook" (Jenkins), there is a wonderful Lebanese garlic sauce recipe. Also, Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet), was of Lebanese decent. He had a series of books on Immigrant cooking, which included Lebanese recipes.

Yes, Jeff Smith had quite a few recipes from his Lebanese roots. some are in his first (I think) cookbook "The Frugal Gourmet". I make his stuffed grape leaves often; we love them.

As for Shwarma, I think that there are as many recipes out there as there are Lebanese cooks. I make one that I got from DC's ethnic cooking section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mediterranean Lebanese Recipe Websites

:) Buonasera,

Here are a couple of above average Lebanese and Mediterranean recipes online to assist you ...

1) www.lebaneserecipes.com/chickenshawarma

2) www.food.com/shish-tao

3) www.lebaneserecipes.com

4) www.food.com

5) www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com ( this has some fine recipes )

6) www.ifood.tv/recipes

Also, I have a book called The Eastern Mediterranean, which focuses on Meze, small dishes similar to Tapas and / or Appetisers ...

Have a nice evening.
Margi. Cintrano. ;)

Buonasera Ceralia,

Several months ago during January and Fenruary 2012, I had placed some recipes for:

1) babaghanuj ( eggplant & tahine )
2) hummus ( chickpea & tahine )

*** in the Ethnic Section along with numerous Greek recipes as well ...

Where is "the Ethnic Section"?

Hmmm, ok, that just brings you back to this forum. Sorry, I thought there was a recipe section or something where these could be easily found.

After a LOT of mucking about with the search utility, I finally came up with these:

Babaganouj

Hummus

Are these the right ones? The only thing is, the one for hummus doesn't give ANY quantities...

Kitchen,

I believe so, however, if you put my name, Margi Cintrano in the Search and check Threads, all my threads should come on your screen; and you can look for the Babaghnuj and the Hummus and the Tzatziki, even though it is Greek, the Lebanese also use Yogurt Cucumber Dip.

I had also published a recipe on Falafel which originated in Egypt.

Enjoy, and let me know if you have located.

Kindest. Margi.

Hmmm, ok, that just brings you back to this forum. Sorry, I thought there was a recipe section or something where these could be easily found.

After a LOT of mucking about with the search utility, I finally came up with these:

Babaganouj

Hummus

Are these the right ones? The only thing is, the one for hummus doesn't give ANY quantities...
Hummus is, IMO, a taste thing.

I usually use dry beans, cook those, skin those. I think a can has 15 oz. in it.

So--
2 cans garbanzo beans(I'm guessing that would be about 4 cups)
1/4 c bean juice
garlic (I usually use 4-6 cloves, but it is to taste)
1/4-1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c freshly squeezed lemon juice (when using toasted walnuts, I use lime juice--ditto when using hot peppers)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2-3 T tahini - to taste

Put every thing in an FP or blender and blend to reach the consistency you like.

I often add toasted walnuts, black olives, etc. For me, it is a "taste" thing.

This link might give you exact measurements:

The 9 Best Hummus Recipes (and homemade ezekiel chips) | Amy Layne Paradigm Blog

Last edited:
Kitchen Barbarian,

Yes, you have my two recipes ... Using canned beans verses dry and soaked overnight creates a different flavor profile ... It is worth the time to prepare the Chickpeas for the Hummus from dry beans, and one can have leftover beans for a gorgeous Spanish sausage bean stew ... The eggplant, which is the principle ingredient of Babaghanuj, could be a bit laborious, however, worthwhile to the palate!

Enjoy,
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom