"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Head Chef

Looking for Spring Roll Recipe

Tonight is Chinese food night at my house.
Along with other things, I'll be making spring rolls ( vegetarian).

When I get them at the restaurant, they taste great.

When I make them at home, they taste good.

So, I'm looking for Great ( maybe Im missing something ( other than the meat/ shrimp (just to avoid the bad jokes that will probably follow)))

So, if any of you guys / gals has any TNT Spring Roll Filling suggestions, that taste right out of the Chinese restaurant kitchen, feel free to share them with me .

Thanks ,

Larry

Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I've never had Chinese spring rolls, but the book "True Thai" has good recipes for fresh and fried spring rolls.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Cook

I would be interested in finding a good easy recipe. I would prefer something that doesn't involve frying though. Pesky gastric bypass and gall badder removal...
Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Head Chef

I had a recipe ( which of course I lost) which involved baking instead of frying. Sure, it wasn't as good, but it definitely wasn't bad. Im still searching for it :)
Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Cook

I order fried ones everytime we have take out, but I would love to make a huge batch, freeze them and have them ready to go whenever.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #6
Cook

Meatless Monday: Crispy Baked Eggrolls

Starter recipe I just found but I can see where I would tweek it. I will make it after the holidays for Asian night.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Cook

One I do is with broccoli slaw mix you buy in the vegetable section. You can stir fry it or just nuke it

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 11-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
Master Chef

Larry, I do not make spring rolls, but do make eggrolls often. The main thing as I found out is to properly season you stuffing, or whatever it's called.
What do you mean by spring rolls, or rather what kind wrapper is used for spring rolls?

P.S. Just went and Googled the difference. I still stand by my suggestion. Make sure your veggies are seasoned well, taste them before rolling them in. Do you have veggies you prefer to use? How do you prepare them?

P.P.S. If you are talking Chinese then it is egg roll, if you are talking Vietnamese then it is spring roll.

these are two eggroll sckins I use the most often:
http://www.slim-shoppin.com/wp-conte...4/dsc00428.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QkvrqjWK4t...0/DSCN5104.jpg

I am always in a hurry and use the shortcuts whenever possible. I buy a 1Lb pack of cole slaw, I small pack of shredded carrots and one small pack of bean sprouts. Bring water to boil add carrots, then cabbage, boil for 2 minutes, drain well, season. Personally I use garlic salt, paprika, brown sugar, cayenne pepper and a little bit of sesame oil, the last one is very important. Roll them fry in not too much oil, I fry one side first then turn upside down, if I have too little oil I turn on the sides at the end. Very important not to fry too much, because they continue to cook even when the rolls are out of the pan. The combination of sugar and cayenne pepper gives very interesting taste plus some sweet and sour sauce and you are in for a treat.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Charlie, spring rolls are usually made with a rice based wrapper. They are also made in Thai cuisine. I searched and found Chinese spring rolls, so they seem to exist.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The best spring rolls I've ever had were at a couple of Vietnamese restaurants. The rice wrappers were steamed, not fried, and almost transparent. The fillings were, as I remember, shredded carrot, very thin glass noodles, cabbage, maybe red peppers and bean sprouts. Some mint, and one place had a fresh chive sticking out. The sauces served with them were exquisite! Sweet, hot, with shreds of carrot and hot pepper flakes. Sadly, the one restaurant here closed many years ago. The other one friends took us to for our then upcoming wedding, more than 27 years ago.

A woman on the Cooking Channel made them for a wedding a while back, can't remember the name of the show, but they looked lovely and very easy.

Tags
recipe

Looking for Spring Roll Recipe Tonight is Chinese food night at my house. Along with other things, I'll be making spring rolls ( vegetarian). When I get them at the restaurant, they taste great. When I make them at home, they taste good. So, I'm looking for Great ( maybe Im missing something ( other than the meat/ shrimp (just to avoid the bad jokes that will probably follow:rofl:))) So, if any of you guys / gals has any TNT Spring Roll Filling suggestions, that taste right out of the Chinese restaurant kitchen, feel free to share them with me . Thanks , Larry 3 stars 1 reviews