"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I like Shanghai Lumpia better than the regular one. My ex-gf's mom would serve it with a dipping sauce made from vinegar, garlic, chiles, and a couple of other things that I can't remember:

http://www.culinarybook.com/snacksap...ty-recipe.html

Old 05-27-2006, 08:07 AM   #12
Head Chef

http://www.discoversandiego.com/feat...ers/lumpia.htm

Old 05-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Lets hope someone can post a great recipe for us... (chopstix??? where r u??)
Hi urmaniac! Sorry I've been playing hooky for quite some time and been missing out on many threads. Didn't see your post on one thread asking me for Lumpia recipe until yesterday. I promise I'll write up how my mom makes her Chinese lumpia for you. I'll have to try to estimate the measurements as my mom never measures. You'll have to give me some time though as I'm going out of town for a few days... Please check back in a week!

Also to someone's comment that the name lumpia might be of Filipino origin, it's actually of Chinese origin (Fookien dialect I believe). Many Chinese as well as Spanish dishes have been adapted into Filipino cuisine.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Aha, there you are Chopstix!! Great to hear from you, and I look forward to seeing your recipe!! (But take your time, no pressure!!....drooooool.... ) And don't worry about measures... I seldom do that either, so I am accustomed to eyeballing the amount!!

Yes like many others I thought lumpia was a Filippino recipe for a long time. Probably it is like the same story with many mediterranean recipes, things like tzatziki, falafel, baklava, kebob etc. etc. can be Greek, Lebanese, Turkish etc. all at the same time!!

BTW thanks also shunka and goodweed!! Seems like lumpia will be our next subject for experiments!!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #15
Head Chef

Hi Urmaniac, here you go!

Chinese Lumpia

1. Lumpia Wrapper:

This is a round paper-thin wrap (about 10 inches in diameter) made from flour, salt and water (I think). We just buy it ready to use at the supermarket and keep it covered with damp cloth so it doesn’t dry up in between uses (much like filo pastry).

I have no good recipe for this. I have tried some from the internet but they were no good.

2. Lumpia Filling:

Chicken bouillon cubes
Minced garlic
Sugar
Approximately the same amount for the following main ingredients:
100 g carrots, finely grated
100 g string beans, finely chopped
100 g cabbage, finely sliced
100 g firm tofu, minced
100 g bamboo shoots, minced (Optional)
100 g shrimp, shelled and minced
100 g pork, minced

Cooking the filling:

In a big wok, saute some garlic in oil. Add pork. Add crumbled chicken bouillon. When pork is almost cooked, add shrimp. Add rest of ingredients. Keep stirring until mixed thoroughly. Add soy sauce and a little sugar to taste. Sir together from time to time for flavors to combine. Simmer until everything is soft and well-cooked and the juices dry up enough.

Toppings:

Mix of white sugar and ground toasted peanuts
Dried seaweed floss that looks like dried up cut grass (called HoTeeh in Chinese)
Fried crispy rice noodles (broken up)
Cilantro leaves and stems
Thick Chinese red hot sauce (preferably, Sunshine brand)

To assemble the lumpia:

Place one lumpia wrapper on dry plate. Lay out a layer of small romaine lettuce leaves in a row on the lower section of the wrapper. Arrange filling into a log on top of the lettuce bed. Layer the different toppings evenly on the log. Fold up the wrapper on both ends of the log, roll log and enjoy!

Notes:

The HoTeeh dried seaweed floss can be replaced with Japanese nori seaweed (juliened) although I think the HoTeeh is more fragrant.

The thick Chinese red hot sauce is similar to Vietnamese red hot sauce.

My mom would make a humongous batch of lumpia filling at a time. Good for 4 to 5 lumpia feasts for the entire family. She freezes it by batches. The filling actually tastes better on second cooking. (How she cooks the humongous batch? By cooking each main ingredient separately and then combining them all in large aluminum basins.)

The recipe above is for Chinese lumpia. Chinese lumpia is traditionally a family gathering meal/event where all the toppings, fillings, wrapper are laid out at the center of the table. No other dish is served. Each person assembles and rolls up his own lumpia and eats it by hand, like a burrito. He can make and eat as many lumpias as he wants in one sitting.

Messy but real fun and delish! Chopsticks won't work here...!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:21 PM   #16
Head Chef

The Filipino ‘fresh’ lumpia recipe is basically the above Chinese lumpia with few of the toppings. Also with less number of main ingredients and some ingredient substitutions. No family gathering tradition goes with the Filipino lumpia. It is served as an afternoon snack or as a vegetable side dish. The rolled up Filipino lumpia is plated and smothered with sweet brown gravy made from brown sugar, water, and cornstarch, and finally topped with minced raw garlic.

The 3 other lumpia variations in the Philippines that I know of are:

Fried lumpia. This is the Filipino lumpia minus the gravy and toppings, deep-fried until golden and crunchy, and served with a dip made from sugar cane vinegar, crushed garlic, salt or fish sauce, chopped red onions, and crushed bird’s eye chilis.

Lumpia Shanghai. It is filling made from minced pork and grated jicamas rolled up in quartered lumpia wrappers. These are deep fried until golden and crispy and served with a sweet-sour dipping sauce made of vinegar, salt, banana ketchup, cornstarch.

Lumpia Ubod. A drastic variation of the fresh lumpia which was concocted in Negros, a major island province in central Philippines. The filling is sweet and savoury, made from young bamboo shoots and minced pork and shrimp, with a very strong fresh garlic flavor. The wrapper is made with egg and flour, much like a thin crepe. It is served rolled up with no toppings necessary.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Yey, Chopstix, you rock!!
Sounds really delicious, would love to try it out asap... however I will have to check out one of the biggest specialty food shops in Rome, as I don't think I remember seeing lumpia wrappers anywhere else... I am hopeful that this shop carries them, but if not ... may I ask you for some ideas for plan B (any kind of option!)?? do you think something like flour tortillas can be used? (as you mentioned a certain similarity with burritos...) Or spring roll wrappers would be better? How do you cook them? If I remember correctly, this version was not deep fried, right? Do toast the wrapper on a griddle, or steam them?
Old 05-29-2006, 11:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yey, Chopstix, you rock!!
Sounds really delicious, would love to try it out asap... however I will have to check out one of the biggest specialty food shops in Rome, as I don't think I remember seeing lumpia wrappers anywhere else... I am hopeful that this shop carries them, but if not ... may I ask you for some ideas for plan B (any kind of option!)?? do you think something like flour tortillas can be used? (as you mentioned a certain similarity with burritos...) Or spring roll wrappers would be better? How do you cook them? If I remember correctly, this version was not deep fried, right? Do toast the wrapper on a griddle, or steam them?
Licia,
I just found a recipe for the wrappers, they are similar to a very thin crepe. When ready to fill a small piece of lettuce, (butter lettuce) is laid on the wrapper then the warm filling,then rolled, a small amount of sauce poured over and a sprinkle of peanuts and serve with more sauce on the side.
Here is the crepe/wrapper recipe:
1-egg
1-c. flour
1-c. cornstarch
2=1/2-c. water
Whisk all ingredients in med. bowl til smoth. Strain and whisk again. Over low heat, heat an 8-in. nonstick skillet. Off heat pour just enough batter about 3 Tab. to cover surface of pan bottom, makeing sure that the mix is spread evenly. Return skillet to heat til crepe sets. Do not brown. Remove from heat and invert skillet over flat surface. the crepe should fall right out. Allow to cool and set aside. repeat til all batter is used. Makes 12 crepes..I also have sauce reice and a filling one, but the filling already posted look wonderful, and I would use one of those as this one is almost identical.

kadesma
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Wow, it does look very much like crepes, both ingredients and the preparation technique!! I surely can handle this, this will save me a trip to the other side of Rome, thanks so much CJ!!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Wow, it does look very much like crepes, both ingredients and the preparation technique!! I surely can handle this, this will save me a trip to the other side of Rome, thanks so much CJ!!
Glad I could help, I did call a good friend who is chinese and she gave it a thumbs up.

kadesma

Tags
None