Lumpia Recipes anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Kadesma, I'm sure your recipe will work! The wrapper just needs to be very thin and neutral tasting.

Urmaniac, I think whatever wrapper that works for spring rolls will work for Chinese lumpia. Except for the lumpia ubod, all other lumpia versions I mentioned use exactly the same kind of wrapper. This wrapper is sold ready to eat. Only the fried lumpia and lumpia shanghai are deep-fried for crispiness.

If available, you may also want to consider using the rice paper wrappers for Vietnamese spring rolls. This is the one that needs to be immersed in water to soften before use.

Tell me what happens!

Chopstix said:
Thanks Kadesma, I'm sure your recipe will work! The wrapper just needs to be very thin and neutral tasting.

Urmaniac, I think whatever wrapper that works for spring rolls will work for Chinese lumpia. Except for the lumpia ubod, all other lumpia versions I mentioned use exactly the same kind of wrapper. This wrapper is sold ready to eat. Only the fried lumpia and lumpia shanghai are deep-fried for crispiness.

If available, you may also want to consider using the rice paper wrappers for Vietnamese spring rolls. This is the one that needs to be immersed in water to soften before use.

Tell me what happens!

Ah, the rice paper wrappers!! We have experimented with them making oven baked spring rolls, we liked them very much. Indeed I think we have some in our cupboard!! I think we will give them a try for lumpias!! And thanks for the additional info, we didn't know they were Vietnamese!!:)

You're welcome Urmaniac! Now you've made me seriously think about making Chinese lumpia. It will be my first time to do it here away from the family...:rolleyes:

lumpia shanghai

ok, i've been browsing everyone's posts and i'm assuming the original question was about lumpia shanghai (the little fried springrolls)? traditionally, they are more like savory little sausages (sorry, that's the only thing i can think of at the moment to compare them to) wrapped in a light crispy wrapper. they are unlike springrolls from other parts of asia in that they don't really contain that many vegetables in them...and most of the recipes posted don't really sound like what i grew up eating.
i'm totally submitting the shortest, most foolproof way to make pretty authentic tasting lumpia shanghai. my mom would kill me if she found out i take the easy way out and resort to buying seasoning packets...but let me tell you, it's much easier than trying to hunt down an exact recipe as most of my relatives are notorious for not using exact measurements.
first of all you'll need a pack of springroll wrappers (i tried this once w/wonton wrappers out of desperation...terrible idea.) don't be tempted to get the small squares b/c they'll only make rolling the lumpia much harder. and definitely no phyllo dough. no no. i usually use this brand of wrappers
img_277077_0_88b04ad7003863c8e26c6b5c6e2edd88.gif
but any other will do.
and you'll need the packet of seasoning i swear by:
img_277077_1_c44541d45cde0d39d36ea99a1c35cc2f.jpg
i've found it at most asian stores (grand mart and super h mart here in the dc area) and one of my friends claims she's seen it at a safeway. ha. anyway, all the ingredients and directions are on the back of the package. basically ground pork, chopped carrots, onion and scallions. i've also tried variations on it...mixing chopped shrimp in w/the pork or throwing in finely chopped water chestnuts...both are nice for a change of pace. i've also substituted chicken and turkey instead of the pork for friends that don't eat pork...it's not bad, but you can definitely taste the difference.:huh:
i know it's not exactly the most homemade sounding recipe, but it's SO easy and the results are almost as good as the ones we have at family parties! i absolutely guarantee it. ever since i tested them out on my friends down here, they've been hooked! i think they are best served with a sweet chili dipping sauce...again, found in most asian stores or even at whole foods.
best of luck on your search for the perfect springroll!! i'll see if i can snag my mom's lumpia sariwa (fresh lumpia w/the crepe-like wrapper and brown sauce) recipe and post that too! yum:chef:

Last edited:
not so spicy

IcyMist said:
I thought that people from the Philippines liked spicy food?
:ermm:

Strangely enough, I have met several people who have thought the same...I think maybe because Thai food is somewhat spicy and there are also other countries nearby that have similar cuisines. The majority of the Filipino food is quite flavorful and savory but mild in heat. Unfortunately most Filipino food is fried or covered in thick, gravy-like sauces...let's just say it's not a cuisine for the health conscious...but o my lord does it taste like HEAVEN:rolleyes: We are also quite fond of incorporating pork and fried things into most meals...hence the popularity of the lumpia shanghai. mmm :rolleyes:

Hi urmaniac!

I made lumpia because of you. I took some pix. (The lumpia wrapper I found here is square shaped.) Will be making this often from now on! :chef:

Attachments

• DSCN0637.JPG
    DSCN0637.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN0640.JPG
    DSCN0640.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN0641.JPG
    DSCN0641.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 231
Originally Posted by IcyMist
I thought that people from the Philippines liked spicy food?

kquijano said:
:ermm:

Strangely enough, I have met several people who have thought the same...I think maybe because Thai food is somewhat spicy and there are also other countries nearby that have similar cuisines. The majority of the Filipino food is quite flavorful and savory but mild in heat.

Filipinos love dipping food into spicy sauces (vinegar+soy sauce or fish sauce or salt + chopped onions + bird's eye chillies). These are staple condiments that accompany dried salted fish, fried pork cracklings and cured meats.

Most Filipino food is not spicy at all. There are just some signature Filipino dishes that are spiced up by chillies like Bicol Express, Dinuguan, Bopis, Laing, Sinigang. However, the heat of the dish is nowhere close to that of standard Thai food.

:chef:

Back
Top Bottom