"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Make Sure You Use The Correct Recipe ;-)

I live in a place which falls somewhere between being a very small town and a very large village. Today was our annual food and drink festival - all the restaurants and food shops and the local craft brewery had stands in the main street and the Womens' Institutute and various interest groups and charities were selling home made cakes, pickles and jams, home grown fruit and veg, etc.

I was at the local Spanish restaurant's stand where, among other goodies, they were making and selling paella

I was very much amused when a woman in her 60s, so about my age, started berating the (Spanish) chef about the paella not being a "real" one. The basis of her argument was that she had eaten paella once in Spain when she was 15 years old and it wasn't like this.

I was sorely tempted to tell her that I'd spent several years in Spain when I was younger and had been taught to make paella by a Spaniard but none of the many paellas I've eaten, including my own, has ever been the same as the previous one I ate. I've had them with all shellfish or shellfish and rabbit or chicken or hake or all of them or no shellfish at all and once a vegetarian paella (which was delicious). I even went to a beach party when host was going to cook the paella on a portable stove and, spotting a plastic carrier bag on a chair, I opened it and discovered a live wild duck looking enquiringly up at me. And yes, the poor thing was destined for the paella! Fortunately good manners topped revulsion and I ate my share of the poor thing. (I'm not averse to eating dead animals, I just don't like to be introduced to them while they are still alive.)

Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Some folks just ain't got proper manners. I reckon it's like that all over the world. I agree about meeting dinner eyeball to eyeball, even though I used to hunt and been known to bring supper home a few times.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Some people think they are the only ones that have made/had a dish properly. Some people can't believe anything can occur outside of their sphere of perception.

Some people put beans in chili too.

And I don't mind meeting dinner and getting introduced. I have been known to name it first.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
...Some people put beans in chili too. ...
Right! Hey wait, what?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Frank, here is a link to a very interesting discussion on the history of chili in Texas. It's a series of posts in a thread between members Audeo and Lifter.

"Authentic" Texas Chili

There is some evidence that beans were, in fact, an integral part of chili near the end of the discussion.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Frank, here is a link to a very interesting discussion on the history of chili in Texas. It's a series of posts in a thread between members Audeo and Lifter.

"Authentic" Texas Chili

There is some evidence that beans were, in fact, an integral part of chili near the end of the discussion.
Like Texans are an authority on chili...
Old 09-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Go figure.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I've often wondered what makes one recipe "authentic" over others. Who decides. I know my Mother was sure her recipes were
Old 09-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Those Texicans are sure full of themselves!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
I've often wondered what makes one recipe "authentic" over others. Who decides. I know my Mother was sure her recipes were
The occasions are rare where you can identify a single recipe as the authentic source.

For the most part, I think it's more of a general framework that is authentic with room for limited variations by different kitchens.

Tags
other, recipe

Make Sure You Use The Correct Recipe ;-) I live in a place which falls somewhere between being a very small town and a very large village. Today was our annual food and drink festival - all the restaurants and food shops and the local craft brewery had stands in the main street and the Womens' Institutute and various interest groups and charities were selling home made cakes, pickles and jams, home grown fruit and veg, etc. I was at the local Spanish restaurant's stand where, among other goodies, they were making and selling paella I was very much amused when a woman in her 60s, so about my age, started berating the (Spanish) chef about the paella not being a "real" one. The basis of her argument was that she had eaten paella once in Spain when she was 15 years old and it wasn't like this. I was sorely tempted to tell her that I'd spent several years in Spain when I was younger and had been taught to make paella by a Spaniard but none of the many paellas I've eaten, including my own, has ever been the same as the previous one I ate. I've had them with all shellfish or shellfish and rabbit or chicken or hake or all of them or no shellfish at all and once a vegetarian paella (which was delicious). I even went to a beach party when host was going to cook the paella on a portable stove and, spotting a plastic carrier bag on a chair, I opened it and discovered a live wild duck looking enquiringly up at me. And yes, the poor thing [I]was[/I] destined for the paella! Fortunately good manners topped revulsion and I ate my share of the poor thing. (I'm not averse to eating dead animals, I just don't like to be introduced to them while they are still alive.) 3 stars 1 reviews