Making Nam Prik Pao, a simplified version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
This is an ingredient that I'm never without in my kitchen. The classic nam prick pao also has sugar, as well as some dried shrimp in it, which is good, but only something that can really be used with Thai, or other SE Asian foods. This one is much simpler, and with just these ingredients, it can also be used with other cuisines, when something hot is wanted. Many recipes call for toasting the garlic and peppers before the cooking in oil, but that seemed superfluous, since it is all being caramelized!

I first made the classic NPP with Thai dragons - about 80 k in heat, and it was too hot to use in a large amount, to get the flavor. So I searched around for something much milder, and, while experimenting, I found that many of those dried peppers simply didn't have the flavor when caramelized. The best pepper I bought for this was the Sanaam, from Pennzey's, and the second best was the 40k crushed red pepper flakes of theirs! Some friends who still use them, say they are still the same, and reliable from batch to batch.

I use something that I have grown for about 25 years - Superthai, which is about 50K, and has given the best flavor of any in this. This time I tried a new, milder one - an Indian Jayoti (maybe 25-30K?), and it looks and smells like it caramelized very well - only slightly tasted it, as it was still hot, and I just stuck it on my back porch to cool. I'll taste test it next to the old batch later on.

Use the 1 c of oil if you want a dryer batch, to use as an ingredient, and use the 1 1/4 c if you want a more liquidy one, to stir up and use to drizzle on foods.

Nam Prik Pao

4 oz shallots, peeled
2 oz garlic, peeled
1 1/2 oz dried peppers (see note above)
1 -1 1/4c canola or other veg. oil (see note)

Chop up the shallots and garlic in the FP, not too fine - about 1/8-3/16" - and dump in the wok, or an 8" sauté pan. Place the peppers and oil in the FP, and process until there are not large pieces of peppers - 60-70 sec. Scrape into pan, and mix with other ingredients. Cook over medium heat until temp reaches 290º, scraping the pan occasionally, more often toward the end. Immediately dump into a metal bowl, to stop cooking. The color will continue to darken, but it won't burn, since the temp will not go up any more.

Yield: just under 2 cups

Nam prik pao ingredients (plus oil):
DSCF0476 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chopping up peppers and oil together:
DSCF0478 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All of the minced up ingredients, with the oil, ready to cook:
DSCF0480 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here's the cooking (too many photos for one post!).

Just starting to cook:
DSCF0481 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Still at 212º, where it stays for a while:
DSCF0482 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

At 255º. The temp starts rising faster about here:
DSCF0483 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

At 285º, just before stopping at 290º:
DSCF0484 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished cooking, and dumped into metal bowl, to stop temp from rising:
DSCF0485 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooled nam prik pao. As you can see, it darkens considerably, while cooling; if left in a pan to cool, it would probably burn, but in the bowl, it gets jsut right.
DSCF0486 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This method can also be used with just shallots, or just garlic - the classic crispy garlic and crispy shallots, used as toppings for many Thai dishes.

NPP recipes mostly call for tamarind and fish sauce in addition to the sugar and dried shrimp you omitted. I would suggest what you made is chili sauce but not NPP.

Andy, This is almost the same recipe from Real Thai, by Nancy McDermott, just simplified even more, by not toasting the peppers before cooking them in the oil - why bother? And, as she noted, there are countless versions, including a vegetarian version, with no shrimp or fish sauce. This version can be used in many more dishes than the classic version, which tastes distinctly Thai, with the dried shrimp. And the sweet and sour isn't always wanted in a dish, yet easily added, which is why I like this version so much.

I just used some tonight on some SF bok choy, to serve with Chinese, which tastes great, with just these ingredients.

I have a question about the peppers you grow and use. Do you dry them before using them in this recipe?
Yes, I ripen them completely, then dry them in a dehydrator, on a relatively low heat, like 120°. This way, they will have darkened almost none - just dried.

This year I tried a new variety variety for making this Aruna, which is almost like that Superthai I described above, but slightly less hot, which is good. Definitely a keeper, as I got about 3/4 gal of dried peppers, and two 7 oz bags of fresh greens for the freezer, from just 2 plants! I have made both hot oil and NPP with it now, and it definitely has the flavor!
Aruna peppers, ready for the dehydrator. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I dry my chili peppers as well. Luckily I can just leave them lying out, except now in the rains.

As for your nam prik pao, I find dry roasting the chili's before using, does make a difference. It gives a smokey taste that I like.

As for commercial versions: they really really differ. I got one now that's just plain sweet. I've had others that I really like.
First time I tasted nam prik pao, I was reminded of Sambal Badjak (or bajac).
Yes indeed. Thats where my name comes from ;)

I like this recipe and definitely will give it a try. I do use the dried shrimp and tamarind. It does give the NPP a distinct Thai profile, but that is what I always associate with this sauce.

I'm just now revisiting this recipe. I have it saved to CMT. What are good ways to store this nam prik pao? And how long can it be stored?

TL, I just store it in a pint mason jar - never had it go bad, but I'm not sure how long I have kept it, as I use it frequently, since it is good in countless other types of foods, besides Thai. I just put some a hummus like dish, that I flavored with olives, and the NPP. I stirred in at least 3 tb of it, until the flavor was just right.

Something I do, when I am almost out of the NPP, and ready to make more, is I scrape the last 2 or 3 tb of the last batch into the SS bowl I will use to cool the new batch in. It cools the new batch off a little faster, though it's mainly the metal bowl that speeds it up. And I just get another pint jar, and dump the stuff in there, once it cools to maybe 180°, and put the clean lid on. It forms a vacuum seal, but I still refrigerate it until I start using it again.
About 2/3 of a batch of NPP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That new (to me, at least) pepper, Aruna, worked out great in this, as it has great flavor, but not as much heat (maybe 20-25k?) as some others I've tried, so it's better for some friends of mine. That's why I planted 3 more this season!

@pepperhead212 - soooo jealous of your continued success with chillies! I have a brown thumb when it comes to growing them. Since we are moving home shortly, I am currently thinking out my new garden so I will research to try to find the best aspect etc. will keep you updated!

TL, I just store it in a pint mason jar - never had it go bad, but I'm not sure how long I have kept it, as I use it frequently, since it is good in countless other types of foods, besides Thai. I just put some a hummus like dish, that I flavored with olives, and the NPP. I stirred in at least 3 tb of it, until the flavor was just right.

Something I do, when I am almost out of the NPP, and ready to make more, is I scrape the last 2 or 3 tb of the last batch into the SS bowl I will use to cool the new batch in. It cools the new batch off a little faster, though it's mainly the metal bowl that speeds it up. And I just get another pint jar, and dump the stuff in there, once it cools to maybe 180°, and put the clean lid on. It forms a vacuum seal, but I still refrigerate it until I start using it again.
About 2/3 of a batch of NPP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That new (to me, at least) pepper, Aruna, worked out great in this, as it has great flavor, but not as much heat (maybe 20-25k?) as some others I've tried, so it's better for some friends of mine. That's why I planted 3 more this season!
So, this needs to be refrigerated, eh?

I assume it needs to be refrigerated - I wouldn't take a chance and test keeping it for a long time at room temp! And I've never had any go bad, and neither has a friend who has made a lot of it, though not as much as I make.

What region will you be moving to, @Jade Emperor? Just curious what weather you, and the peppers (as well as other plants) will be dealing with.
Thanks for your interest, @pepperhead212! We are staying in our region, moving about 30 minutes from our current abode.
Our climate is described as “Mediterranean” - we have very hot summers and mild winters, often getting good rainfall, but being Australia, we can expect dry and drought conditions in some years.

Back
Top Bottom