Maple Things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
As Maple syrup originated with Native Americans, I'm starting this thread in the ethnic food section.

Maple syrup/sugar is a wonderful flavoring. And for all of my DC friends who aren't fortunate enough to have sugar maple trees in their back yard, here are some flavor ideas you may not have experienced. But first, let me give you a bit of advice. When purchasing maple syrup, look for Grade-B syrup rather than Grade-A Fancy. It has a more robust flavor, and is cheaper to boot.

1. Maple syrup, unmatched as a syrup to pour over pancakes and waffles.
2. Drizzle it over home-made sticky buns (caramel buns), with broken pecans or walnuts.
3. Use in place of mollases or brown sugar in baked beans.
4. Use as a glaze with pork roasts and ham.
5. brush onto the top crust of apple pie before baking.
6. Add with a tough of butter to glazed carrots.
7. Add to sweet potato casseroles.
8. Brush onto bacon while frying, or cooking in the oven.
9. Add a tbs. or so to hot chocolate.
10. Use in place of honey on toast.
11. Drizzle over vanilla ice cream.
12. Add to sparkling water to make maple-flavored soda.
13. Use in milk shakes.
14. Drizzle over halved peaches before baking or barbecuing.
15. Add to tomato-based barbecue sauce
16. Just a bit added to chili is deliscious. Btu be careful. Just use a little.
17. Add to bread dough in place of sugar.
18. Use in home-made butter-cream frosting/icing.
19. Use as a glaze for raisin-nut bread.
20. Use in home-made fudge recipes.
21. Use to make maple flavored blondies (like brownies only without the cocoa).
22. Use with marshmallow to make Rice Krispy Treats.
23. Use in home-made yellow cake batter.
24. Add to whipped cream while whipping the cream.
25. Use in custards for filling home-made pastries, such as long johns or eclairs.
26. Use as a glaze for home-made pastries.
27. Add in place of brown sugar in home-made sloppy joes.
28. Drizzle over smoked bratwurst or summer sausage.
29. Add to cream cheese custard in your next home-made cheesecake.
30. Have a tablespoon or so, just because it tastes sooooo good.;)

Any other ideas are welcome, even from our Southern freinds (you know, the people who use brown sugar and corn syrup for everything:ROFLMAO:).

Oh, and ladies, maple syrup is so good, you might try a dab behind the ears, and a quick smear on the throat, above the knee, etc., in place of Obsession, or Channel No.5. Ahhhahahahaha.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I recently bought a gallon of grade b and put most of it in the freezer...I just added a dab to the yogurt I am incubating today, to take the "edge" off the flavor.....don't like to be without maple syrup...

GW ... I would add "and sprinkle with peanuts" to your #11. It's our standby night time treat.

Beth, I've never thought of adding a bit to yogurt ... mmmm.

Last year's sugar run in our area was short and bad so prices this year were way up but this years was awesome! I think the sap ran for longer than it has in many years! I have cousins that know a guy (the best way to buy syrup IMHO) that they buy it by the milk can from. They need to boil and bottle it but they are getting a really good deal per gallon.

Also, another fun fact that I'm sure will gather the ire of some ... like honey, maple syrup will not go bad. If you do keep it on a shelf (rather than the fridge) and find mold, simply scoop it off and reboil. Technically, it shouldn't even mold but if you get crud in your bottle (from pouring it back into the bottle from a pitcher or whatever) you may.

Man, that all sounds so good! I love maple syrup but, have a hard time buying it. I would spend the $10.00 on a bottle if I knew I'd like it. I had bought one years ago for 7 and was mad that it tasted like crap, so now I'm gun shy. Wish I knew someone from Vermont to advise me! LOL

chefkathleen, a lot of people who grew up on "imitation maple syrup" really don't like the real thing. For them, it simply is too flavorful and not sweet enough. I even used to have a friend who would travel with her bottle of plain old Mrs Butterworth's type syrup because her husband liked a restaurant that only served the real thing. I buy my mother a bottle of local (that is to say, Wisconsin) maple syrup every year for Christmas and she makes a point of hiding it because the kids (siblings of mine and their offspring) will pour half a bottle on their plate, then say yuck and not eat it. My husband and I do NOT have a sweet tooth, so only buy the real thing and only have it a few times a year.

I grew up in a household that used Log Cabin brand. Wouldn't use that stuff today if I could get it for free. The real stuff is great but we don't use it much because it's a kinda pricey luxury with apparently marginal food value.

I use it in my hot oatmeal in place of other sugars.
i also use it in oatmeal (remember Maypo) and all my hot cereals i love mixing wheatena, farina and cream of wheat together with maple syrup and just a touch of brown sugar, butter and raisins :chef:. hmmmmmmmmm that my be dinner tonight!! LOL

img_826208_0_1b2e416b08b11014fa7ccfd468870437.jpg

i use it in sweet potato and accorn squash cassarole.

I grew up in a maple heavy area in Ohio. Our county always held a maple festival every spring and it was routine for the schools to take a trip to the sugar cabin and watch the process of making maple syrup. One of my favorite things was the hot maple stirs. You'd get a small bowl of hot maple syrup and you'd stir it until it became creamy and then eat. Talk about heaven! Since moving to VA, it's hard to find good maple syrup so I either order it online or pick some up when I go back to visit relatives. Here are links to the two places I get my syrup from for those of you who might enjoy getting some of the genuine article.

Richards Maple Products | If it's maple, we have it! | Chardon | Ohio | Geauga County
Online Store

Claire, I never thought of that. My mother was a Karo user and I've mostly used Mrs. B or Log Cabin. It could be just that I'm not used to "the good stuff". LOL

I grew up in a maple heavy area in Ohio. Our county always held a maple festival every spring and it was routine for the schools to take a trip to the sugar cabin and watch the process of making maple syrup. One of my favorite things was the hot maple stirs. You'd get a small bowl of hot maple syrup and you'd stir it until it became creamy and then eat. Talk about heaven! Since moving to VA, it's hard to find good maple syrup so I either order it online or pick some up when I go back to visit relatives. Here are links to the two places I get my syrup from for those of you who might enjoy getting some of the genuine article.

Richards Maple Products | If it's maple, we have it! | Chardon | Ohio | Geauga County
Online Store
thanks for the links but WOW!! expansive stuff u'd think it was gold!! :LOL:

WARNING! THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU: I've been spoiled by using TJ's maple syrup for many years (expensive but good price compared to other brands, and very good quality). I can no longer stand the goop they serve at Denny's and places of that ilk, nor can I stomach cheap commercial "maple flavored" syrups.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom