As Maple syrup originated with Native Americans, I'm starting this thread in the ethnic food section.
Maple syrup/sugar is a wonderful flavoring. And for all of my DC friends who aren't fortunate enough to have sugar maple trees in their back yard, here are some flavor ideas you may not have experienced. But first, let me give you a bit of advice. When purchasing maple syrup, look for Grade-B syrup rather than Grade-A Fancy. It has a more robust flavor, and is cheaper to boot.
1. Maple syrup, unmatched as a syrup to pour over pancakes and waffles.
2. Drizzle it over home-made sticky buns (caramel buns), with broken pecans or walnuts.
3. Use in place of mollases or brown sugar in baked beans.
4. Use as a glaze with pork roasts and ham.
5. brush onto the top crust of apple pie before baking.
6. Add with a tough of butter to glazed carrots.
7. Add to sweet potato casseroles.
8. Brush onto bacon while frying, or cooking in the oven.
9. Add a tbs. or so to hot chocolate.
10. Use in place of honey on toast.
11. Drizzle over vanilla ice cream.
12. Add to sparkling water to make maple-flavored soda.
13. Use in milk shakes.
14. Drizzle over halved peaches before baking or barbecuing.
15. Add to tomato-based barbecue sauce
16. Just a bit added to chili is deliscious. Btu be careful. Just use a little.
17. Add to bread dough in place of sugar.
18. Use in home-made butter-cream frosting/icing.
19. Use as a glaze for raisin-nut bread.
20. Use in home-made fudge recipes.
21. Use to make maple flavored blondies (like brownies only without the cocoa).
22. Use with marshmallow to make Rice Krispy Treats.
23. Use in home-made yellow cake batter.
24. Add to whipped cream while whipping the cream.
25. Use in custards for filling home-made pastries, such as long johns or eclairs.
26. Use as a glaze for home-made pastries.
27. Add in place of brown sugar in home-made sloppy joes.
28. Drizzle over smoked bratwurst or summer sausage.
29. Add to cream cheese custard in your next home-made cheesecake.
30. Have a tablespoon or so, just because it tastes sooooo good.
Any other ideas are welcome, even from our Southern freinds (you know, the people who use brown sugar and corn syrup for everything
Oh, and ladies, maple syrup is so good, you might try a dab behind the ears, and a quick smear on the throat, above the knee, etc., in place of Obsession, or Channel No.5. Ahhhahahahaha.
Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North