"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Personally, I find "Mediterranean" too wide a category for a single meal. If the menu maker is not careful, it's extremely possible to create a meal that is quite disconnected.

Larry, I'm curious what part of the Mediterranean region you are REALLY thinking about? Middle Eastern? Greek? Southern French? Italian?

I can give you lists and lists of dishes, and pages of recipes, but I'd be guessing what you're looking for.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Cook

mini falafels, pita chips with hummus and baba ganoush, samboosas, feta cheese, fatouch..

'Beauty without grace is the hook without the bait.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
x7anooonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7anooonah View Post
mini falafels, pita chips with hummus and baba ganoush, samboosas, feta cheese, fatouch..
Do you have a recipe for "fatouch". I saw it once mentioned on the cooking channel, but they didnt give a recipe.

larry
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Head Chef

Larry i'm sure fattoush is any kind of mediterranean salad you like with fried pita pieces in it... I used to have that in NY many, many years ago and I believe thats what it is...
Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Personally, I find "Mediterranean" too wide a category for a single meal. If the menu maker is not careful, it's extremely possible to create a meal that is quite disconnected.

Larry, I'm curious what part of the Mediterranean region you are REALLY thinking about? Middle Eastern? Greek? Southern French? Italian?

I can give you lists and lists of dishes, and pages of recipes, but I'd be guessing what you're looking for.
middle east, greek, turkish...
Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
middle east, greek, turkish...
Interesting. I don't call those "Mediterranean," for me they're "Middle Eastern."

I was going to talk about Eggplant Pizzas, but those wouldn't fit in.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
Master Chef

June - Why wouldn't you consider "greek" cuisine Mediterranean? Greece is considered a Mediterranean country.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
June - Why wouldn't you consider "greek" cuisine Mediterranean? Greece is considered a Mediterranean country.
I agree Greece is very Mediterranean, and eggplant pizza would be fabulous... I just made that pizza two weeks ago for the first time, and it was heavenly...
Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

There's a Mario Batali grill recipe we love for stuffed grape leaves: really easy, but very flavorful. Buy a bottle of grape leaves and rinse them under water and pat them dry with a paper towel. Buy any goat cheese that you like, maybe a pound or so. Mince a few cloves of garlic (your choice how much...), and grind lots of fresh black pepper. I mean LOTS. Thoroughly mix the garlic and black pepper throughout the goat cheese. Place a tablespoon of the mixture on a grape leave. Fold the grape leaf over the cheese the same way you'd fold a tortilla to make a burrito. Tie with butcher's twine. Drizzle olive oil over the grape leaves, then grill them on the barbeque for a few minutes to slightly char the grape leaf and melt the cheese. Man, are these things good! You can transport them in a casserole dish and pop them under the broiler to warm them up once you arrive at your destination....
Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #20
Head Chef

Larry iv'e made these also and they are wonderful, you can add any herb you like to create all kinds of wonderful flavors... Iv'e used garlic,rosemary,thyme,sun dried tomatoes,black olives... The possibilities are endless...

Tags
None