Mee Goreng (Asian Fried Noodles)
Mee Goreng is a classical dish in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. Several variations can be found even within the same locality. The version that I am sharing with you here is easy to prepare and very tasty.
5 tbsp oil
1 large onion, sliced
150gm (about 5 oz) bean sprouts
2 tomatoes - chopped
250gm (about 8oz) fresh yellow noodles (if unavailable, use cooked spaghetti)
1 boiled potato, diced
2 green chillies, sliced
1 tsp chilli paste or chilli powder
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp salt
1. Heat oil and fry onion, bean sprouts for 1 minute over high heat.
2. Add tomatoes, and noodles and continue frying breaking noodles into smaller pieces until almost cooked. Add a bit of water if noodles stick to the pan.
3. Push the noodles to one side of the pan, add some oil and once heated, crack the eggs in and stir well to mix, scrambled-style.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue frying until almost dry. A well-fried Mee Goreng should be slightly reddish, well coated with egg and flavourful.
5. Serve with cucumber slices and chilli sauce/tomato ketchup
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!