"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Menudo - Wish Me Luck

I like tripe, but it's tough to come by and a pain to prepare. So I just ordered 6 cans of Juanita's menudo. My reservations include the fact that the hominy is not lye cured. I ordered two 29 oz. cans of the hot & spicey and four 15 oz. cans of 'homestyle'.
With shipping the menudo cost $4.58 per pound.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Executive Chef

My dad tricked me into eating Menudo one time. It tasted really good. But then I got a good look at what was in that bowl and I was done.

I salute those of you who can eat this .. it is tasty but I can't do it anymore.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Master Chef

Juanita's puts out a pretty good Menudo, Bill. Be sure to have the condiments for the top......lemon wedges, chopped onion, and dried Mexican oregano, not to be confused with regular oregano, as the flavor is not the same.
I have a can in the pantry I may use for lunch tomorrow. In this neck of the woods, it's on every grocery shelf.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Juanita's Menudo is good. I also like the Pico Pica brand menudo and I think Pico Pica makes the best hot sauce in a bottle I've ever had. Juanita's and Pico Pica both come with or without hominy by the way. A lot of the restaurants and markets here in S. California make home-made menudo too, which is sometimes only served on the weekends. I have heard it said that menudo cures hangovers... not that I would know anything about that
Old 12-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Thank you all for the feedback.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Master Chef

Here's more info on Mexican oregano, Bill. Around here, it's found in the grocery store on a rack with lots of cellophane packages of spices, all of which are a real bargain.

Oregano: Mediterranean and Mexican What's the Difference? | The Kitchn

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Master Chef

Yes, menudo is one of the traditional cures for hangovers and they are regularly served on weekends at many coffee shops and restaurants here in the west.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Over the years, there has been a growing segment of the population here that has Latino ancestry. As a result, most if not all the local grocery stores carry a wide selection of ingredients and products for that style of cooking. I discovered menudo (Juanita's) several years ago, and while I love it, none of the rest of my family will eat it, although they have tried it. It has become one of my favorite soups when it is cold and blustery.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Tried a can of Jaunita's last night. It was ok but a bit short on the tripe and heavy on the hominy
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

This evening I had 2/3rds can, ie 2 cups (100% of sodium RDA) of Juanita's Hot & Spicy Menudo. I warmed it for 1 1/4 hours to soften the hominy, added 1 small diced onion, 1 tsp of oregano, and 4 dashes of Tabasco. It was quite tasty and I look forward to having soon again.

Tags
other, tripe