Menudo - Wish Me Luck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justplainbill

Executive Chef
I like tripe, but it's tough to come by and a pain to prepare. So I just ordered 6 cans of Juanita's menudo. My reservations include the fact that the hominy is not lye cured. I ordered two 29 oz. cans of the hot & spicey and four 15 oz. cans of 'homestyle'.
With shipping the menudo cost $4.58 per pound.

My dad tricked me into eating Menudo one time. It tasted really good. But then I got a good look at what was in that bowl and I was done.

I salute those of you who can eat this .. it is tasty but I can't do it anymore.

Juanita's puts out a pretty good Menudo, Bill. Be sure to have the condiments for the top......lemon wedges, chopped onion, and dried Mexican oregano, not to be confused with regular oregano, as the flavor is not the same.
I have a can in the pantry I may use for lunch tomorrow. In this neck of the woods, it's on every grocery shelf.

Last edited:
Juanita's Menudo is good. I also like the Pico Pica brand menudo and I think Pico Pica makes the best hot sauce in a bottle I've ever had. Juanita's and Pico Pica both come with or without hominy by the way. A lot of the restaurants and markets here in S. California make home-made menudo too, which is sometimes only served on the weekends. I have heard it said that menudo cures hangovers... not that I would know anything about that :LOL:

Over the years, there has been a growing segment of the population here that has Latino ancestry. As a result, most if not all the local grocery stores carry a wide selection of ingredients and products for that style of cooking. I discovered menudo (Juanita's) several years ago, and while I love it, none of the rest of my family will eat it, although they have tried it. It has become one of my favorite soups when it is cold and blustery.

This evening I had 2/3rds can, ie 2 cups (100% of sodium RDA) of Juanita's Hot & Spicy Menudo. I warmed it for 1 1/4 hours to soften the hominy, added 1 small diced onion, 1 tsp of oregano, and 4 dashes of Tabasco. It was quite tasty and I look forward to having soon again.

sounds like something that could be worked, jpb. adding veggies, liquids, and other savory ingredients that would reduce the sodium per serving.

tbanls for tje ueads up. i'll have to look for it.

sounds like something that could be worked, jpb. adding veggies, liquids, and other savory ingredients that would reduce the sodium per serving.

tbanls for tje ueads up. i'll have to look for it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
At 300 calories per cup of menudo, out of the can, I guess some soaked dried beans can be added.
That should turn a 29.5 ounce can into 3 - 4 generous portions.

Last edited:
quick easy no "meat" version

I make a no tripe version. works well when I want the "menudo" experience without all the fuss.

I take a large can of golden Hominy, put into a pot, add 2 cups water, add a dried bay leaf, a pinch of oregano, 1/2 clove of garlic crushed, 2 pinched of red pepper flake, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin and 2 tablespoons of red chili powder.

I simmer till the hominy takes on color. and broth slighly thickens.

I serve a bowl with fresh diced onion and a squeeze of lemon juce...a warm corn tortiila with a smear of smashed avocado.

I dont miss the tripe or the mess. Cooking time30 min.

I can get a great Menudo at a restaurant a block from my home.

When I get a hankerin' and they're closed I buy Juanita's.

I only heat it as I like the hominy pretty al dente then add lime, chopped red onion, oregano and crushed red pepper.

If I have fresh cilantro on hand I prefer it to the oregano.

I'm intrigued by the suggestion of the Pico Pica hot sauce. I'm going to try it.

buckytom said:

I once added cabbage on a whim and it was quite good.

chimuelojones said:
I make a no tripe version. works well when I want the "menudo" experience without all the fuss.

I take a large can of golden Hominy, put into a pot, add 2 cups water, add a dried bay leaf, a pinch of oregano, 1/2 clove of garlic crushed, 2 pinched of red pepper flake, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin and 2 tablespoons of red chili powder.

I simmer till the hominy takes on color. and broth slighly thickens.

I serve a bowl with fresh diced onion and a squeeze of lemon juce...a warm corn tortiila with a smear of smashed avocado.

I dont miss the tripe or the mess. Cooking time30 min.

I have never made Menudo because the tripe processing seemed as if it would be such a time consuming hassle.

The avocado idea is brilliant.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom