"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Rather than starting with 4 cups of cooked rice, you could start with a cup of uncooked rice and cook it in the skillet with the other ingredients and some chicken broth. This would bring out the flavors of the other ingredients and provide an opportunity for them to blend.

I'd saute the veggies in some oil first. Add a couple of cloves of garlic, too.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Sounds like ANDYM idea is a really good idea kinda along the line of Paella or Jambalaya but with Mexican flavors
OH! Maybe have it with guacamole,salsa and sour cream as a garnish

Old 01-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #13
Hospitality Queen

AVOCADO SLICES ON TOP!!!
I agree with the other suggestions, but would also like to add my cheese comment: go with a mexican cheese. If you don't want pepper jack, try some manchego cheese or a really milky-tasting cheese, like the round package called "quesadilla cheese" which is a white, fast-melting mexican cheese.

After you're done with your wonderful meal, you can top it with a dollop of crema (mexican table cream) which you can usually find in the refrigerated case of the market. Quite often I add corn to mixes like yours for a little extra color and flavor. Also, leftovers from this meal are great rolled up in a freshly flash-fried flour tortilla. YUM! All you need to do is top it with some enchilada sauce (or fresh pico de gaillo), another topping of crema and more avo slices.

Okay, now I'm hungry.....
Old 01-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Wish you all weren't so predjudiced against Velveeta...it's a great product, and if you use the Velveeta Lite, not only does it melt beautifully, but it has fewer calories and less sodium.
I love all kinds of good cheeses, and buy them all the time, but there are certain recipes that call out for good old Velveeta.
I love Velveeta, don't buy it a lot...but every so often I get that jones for a cheeseburger, or in a omelet!!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 07:58 PM   #15
Executive Chef

add some Colon Blow!!!

http://www.hotshoppe.com/productPage...EST+HOT+SAUCES
Old 01-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
Senior Cook

thanks for the many comments. I picked up the ingredients for my first try at this.

I'm going to stick with the velveeta for my first try. I want something that will melt nicely and be smooth and "saucy". Most other cheeses don't melt well from my experience.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Andy has a good point on adding some garlic. Mexican food always has garlic! Oaxaca cheese (Mexican mozzarella cheese) melts well and smoothly plus it's the best cheese to use for Mexican food. A variety of chilis like: poblanos and anchos would also give it more flavor, heat and color. (Poblanos are quite spicy so use it to your taste.) Caramelizing the onions and added chicken stock will give your dish a better taste as well. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Actually poblanos are among the mildest chile peppers, but I guess if you can't take a lot of heat to begin with then they could set your tongue on fire. For me, they are just a few small steps up from a bell pepper.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #19
Master Chef

Poblano and ancho peppers are one in the same. It's called a poblano when fresh and an ancho when dried.

It's actually hard to find poblanos in many places (like here in Boston).

And GB's is right, they're not very hot.

I have had no trouble melting most cheeses. But most don't turn into a "sauce" unless you make them into one.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Same here GB. Poblanos are way too mild for me. I'd rather go with habaneros or cayenne! Although some can't tolerate a lot of heat.

Tags
None