"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Mexican recipe idea (help)

I saw a yummy "skillet" type meal in the freeze section of the grocery store a few weeks ago that inspired me to attempt something similar. I'm looking for any suggestions or comments on my ideas. I probably won't get it right on the first try but the end result should eventually be very good.

it is a cheesy mexican dish with beans, rice and ground beef. Here are my ideas so far.
  • about 4 cups of cooked rice
  • 1 or 2 cans of black beans
  • 1/2 pound of ground beef
  • velveeta for the cheesiness
  • 1 diced up red bell pepper
  • some diced yellow onion
  • some green onion
  • probably cumin, cayanne, salt, and pepper for spices. Maybe chili powder too.
  • some tortilla strips mixed in at the end for crunchiness
that's what I have in my head at the moment. Please comment and give me suggestions on additional ingredients

Old 01-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd use a full pound of ground beef and some real Mexican or Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese in place of the Velveeta. Also a little tomato (canned or fresh) and Mexican oregano. You could add some minced jalapenos for flavor and heat in place of the cayenne or try some chipotle in adobo if you like a smokey flavor.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Head Chef

I was thinking of tomatoes too. Definitely use real cheese for part of this. You may want to add black olives and sour cream for a topping. Green chiles are a must!!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I'd use a full pound of ground beef and some real Mexican or Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese in place of the Velveeta. Also a little tomato (canned or fresh) and Mexican oregano. You could add some minced jalapenos for flavor and heat in place of the cayenne or try some chipotle in adobo if you like a smokey flavor.

I agree. More meat. Real cheese. Tomato. Jalepeno.

Also, I'd use less rice. 4 cups is an awful lot, esp if youup the meat. You could leave out the meat -- then 4 cups seems right.

I'd leave out the green onion, as youhave a regular onion. I'd defintely add cilantro.

Also, chili powder has cumin in it. It's a mix of ancho pepper, cumin, garlic, oregano and salt.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I would also vote for real cheese and tomatoes!! For a finish sprinkle chopped fresh cilantro over, too.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Master Chef

If you like corn tortilla's, you can soak enough to cover the bottom of the pan your using, in salsa, then put them on the bottom of the pan, then add all your other stuff.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Master Chef

Wish you all weren't so predjudiced against Velveeta...it's a great product, and if you use the Velveeta Lite, not only does it melt beautifully, but it has fewer calories and less sodium.
I love all kinds of good cheeses, and buy them all the time, but there are certain recipes that call out for good old Velveeta.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
but there are certain recipes that call out for good old Velveeta.
Agreed, but in this particular recipe real cheese would work very well and if a Mexican type cheese is used then the recipe will taste more like what Mr. Dove is looking for.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

All the suggestions so far are right on, especially the amount of rice. 4 cups is a lot.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
I was thinking of tomatoes too. Definitely use real cheese for part of this. You may want to add black olives and sour cream for a topping. Green chiles are a must!!
Personally, I would probably use Velveeta for this particular recipe, but other cheeses would probably ok too. I would definitely add the tomatoes and black olives, and just before serving, I would also add the sour cream. This sounds really good.

Barbara

Tags
None