Mexican Rice and Beans as you would find in a recipe help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charlie, I'm thinking that Kay's friend probably gave her the scaled down amounts for the home cook, and that in the restaurant they make it in larger proportions to last throughout the day. When I made it, it was still just as good warmed up the next day. :yum:

You are right Cheryl, she made the rice for the restaurant in large daily batches. It was her home recipe for it that she shared with me.
You and I agree that chili relleno's must be made fresh to order in a restaurant though, and I always ask before I order.

You are right Cheryl, she made the rice for the restaurant in large daily batches. It was her home recipe for it that she shared with me.
You and I agree that chili relleno's must be made fresh to order in a restaurant though, and I always ask before I order.

Yes, too much can go wrong with prepared and pre-frozen...rubbery cheese, tough batter and separating from the chiles...
I'm nearly always happy with TJ's, but I've been hesitant to try even theirs. I might though, just to see how they are in a pinch. :LOL:

Hi Larry, I just joined a few days ago and came across your post. Hope this helps...

Fluffy rice: Use long grain

• Rinse with cold water until almost clear, takes the starch and dust off
  • Add just a bit of salt and oil ( I use coconut oil) Oil helps to keep from sticking too
  • Cook as directed for rice cooker OR
  • Cook as directed, however, use 1/5 less water than required OR
    Using the boil drain method: rinse rice with cold water as above
  • Get a pot and put water in, enough to cover the amount of rice you are making
  • boil the water and then add the rice whatever amount you are making
  • boil about 10 minutes just until it is getting tender and still not quite done stage
  • Pour rice and water into a colander and drain
  • Put colander on warm pot and cover with foil... or put well drained rice back into pot and cover
  • Let sit and continue to absorb and steam until done...about 15 minutes or so, then fluff
    For seasoning and color for rice....you have options

1. 1. could use ketchup while cooking rice or tomato sauce or paste to color
    or
    2. use Annatto powder, it is an orange red condiment and used for food coloring. It comes from the Achiote tree. The powder or seeds can be purchased at Spanish, Mexican or Latin grocery. It is a bit peppery and nutmeg like with a slight sweet and nutty taste.
    Or
    3. Use can use a condiment purchased at most any store...Sazon seasoning, which comes in prepackaged envelopes in small or large box. However, keep in mind this does contain MSG.
You can add seasonings during the cooking process, such as garlic and even cumin in small amount just to give a boost to flavor, but not over power it.

Now for the beans...usually pinto beans are used. You can use dry or canned.

Make your dry beans or open canned beans then: (Depending upon how much beans you are making-for every 15 oz can, use 1 TB coconut oil, hope this helps)

• In a pot put coconut oil
  • Put heat on medium to medium low to heat oil
  • Put ground Cumin, garlic, should start to get fragrant, about 1 minute or two
  • Now add beans and a bit of water to cook until very tender and reduced liquid until thick
  • About 5 minutes from beans being done add 1 tsp or more of vinegar per 15oz can of beans and heat through
  • Add ¼ tsp of salt ( I use Pink Himalayan salt) per 15 oz can of beans and...
  • Now process your beans with a hand mixer or processor, if you like smooth make smooth, if you like a bit of beans, just remember to take some out and set aside to put back in once you're done processing-smoothing it out.
    If vegan or vegetarian this works, no lard, just coconut oil...yippee
As for the cheese... Queso Blanco (soft white cheese) from the store works well.

Enjoy!

I have a recipe for refried beans made in the crock pot. Technically, they're not refried so I don't know how traditional they'll taste, but they are good.

Put 1 16oz bag of pinto beans into a crock pot.

Add any or all of the following:

half a (small) chopped onion

1 tsp of salt

some pepper

some cayenne

some basil

some parsley

garlic

(I also add garlic and onion powder, too)

8 cups of chicken broth with a teaspoon of liquid smoke stirred in

Turn crock pot on high and cook for 7 to 8 hours.

Then use a beater (hand mixer) or potato masher to mash the beans until they're creamy.

The amounts of spices are pretty well to taste. I don't usually measure and just throw what I think I need into the pot.

Mexican Rice

I have cooked Mexican rice for 50 years now,and my family loves mine. I do use chopped onion,minced garlic,and bell pepper and ground cominos (molcajete needed)and organic tomato sauce or fresh tomatoes in mine,but it seems you don't want any pieces of these in your rice. I would suggest that you use powdered onion,garlic,and cumin. I would use these when my grandchildren were small because they didn't like to bite into the onions:blink: especially. I use medium grain or long grain white rice usually,but have used brown rice which is more nutritious. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom