"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Qa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That's too bad, Kay. Love me a good molé. Every abuela makes it differently, a very long and complicated process.
True and I'm not sure they all contain chocolate.

DH and I made a Rick Bayless mole once for the teacher capstone event he does. It took all day but it was delicious.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #32
Master Chef

Back when some of us were still on food network board there was this chef who told me how to make massive quantity of "Mexican Rice". Since I cook for a lot of people a lot of times it works. Precook rice. I.e. I use rice that takes 20 minutes to cook. I cook for 15 minutes. Cool down in the fridge, just like rice for Chinese rice. Then you can cook as much as you need, as many portions as you need, same as fried rice. Since it is pretty bland they probably just add a little bit of tomato sauce, probably seasoned, though sounds not heavily seasoned. So, a teaspoon of oil in a hot pan, let it get hot, a cup of cold rice, swirl the rice,then add a table spoon or less of tomato sauce or less. Done.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Put a pan if water on. In a Dutch oven, saute onion, carrots, and celery in some oil. Toast brown rice, once Toasted, add water and bay leaf or two. Salt and water. Cover, reduce heat. Cook for 45-60 minutes. Turn off heat and leave in covered pan for 60 minutes. Remove Bay leaf/ves and turn out on cookie sheet. Reheat in microwave for 10 minutes.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Put a pan if water on. In a Dutch oven, saute onion, carrots, and celery in some oil. Toast brown rice, once Toasted, add water and bay leaf or two. Salt and water. Cover, reduce heat. Cook for 45-60 minutes. Turn off heat and leave in covered pan for 60 minutes. Remove Bay leaf/ves and turn out on cookie sheet. Reheat in microwave for 10 minutes.
And that's a recipe for?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
And that's a recipe for?
That's how we cook rice at the Tex-Mex restaurant. Quantities not practical for the home cook, but the result is the right texture. We only use briwn rice.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #36
Master Chef

Larry, I don't know if you read the 'what's for dinner' threads and saw my enchilada dinner and Mexican rice pic from yesterday, so thought I'd share it again here.

I followed Kayelle's recipe for Mexican rice given to her by her friend who owns a restaurant, and it's PERFECT. Just the right amount of light seasoning in the rice that you would expect to find in a Mexican restaurant. The only thing I did differently was cut the recipe in half as it's just me here, and I like to add a few peas for color. Again, it's very important to sauté the rice first, to get a fluffy rice.

Here's the recipe Kayelle posted:

Quote:
My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry rice for a minute or two. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice.
Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

Here's a pic from yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enchiladadinner.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	24162  
Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #37
Head Chef

Didn't see it, thanks for posting it.
Looks simple and good, just as I remember it from the restaurant.
Ill be sure to give it a go.

Thanks !!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #38
Master Chef

You're welcome, Larry.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Larry, I don't know if you read the 'what's for dinner' threads and saw my enchilada dinner and Mexican rice pic from yesterday, so thought I'd share it again here.

I followed Kayelle's recipe for Mexican rice given to her by her friend who owns a restaurant, and it's PERFECT. Just the right amount of light seasoning in the rice that you would expect to find in a Mexican restaurant. The only thing I did differently was cut the recipe in half as it's just me here, and I like to add a few peas for color. Again, it's very important to sauté the rice first, to get a fluffy rice.

Here's the recipe Kayelle posted:

Quote:
My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry rice for a minute or two. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice.
Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

Here's a pic from yesterday.

If that is how they in her restaurant I want to eat only in her place. Even though waiting for the dish is going to be long, it will be awesome tasting as it is cooked individually. No restaurants are willing to do that today.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 01-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
If that is how they in her restaurant I want to eat only in her place. Even though waiting for the dish is going to be long, it will be awesome tasting as it is cooked individually. No restaurants are willing to do that today.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Charlie, I'm thinking that Kay's friend probably gave her the scaled down amounts for the home cook, and that in the restaurant they make it in larger proportions to last throughout the day. When I made it, it was still just as good warmed up the next day.

Tags
beans, mexican, recipe, rice

Mexican Rice and Beans as you would find in a recipe help Inspired by the stuffed pepper thread, I go a few questions about Mexican Rice and Beans , as you would find in a restaurant ( or at least my restaurant). Id like to duplicate them as close as possible. Heres the description. [B][U]Rice:[/U][/B] Rice is small thin grain Color is a pale reddish orange Its dry and flakey ( not soupy or saucey) Very bland, but in a good way ( almost keep it simple stupid) No obvious signs of vegetables or vegetable pieces ( such as onions, peppers or tomatoes) When Dissecting it, i did detect what looked like tomato paste, which was probably supposed to break down, but i managed to find some that didn't [B][U]Beans:[/U][/B] Mostly smooth ( with a few beans that escaped the food processor blades) No evidence of any other vegetables other than the beans bland, but in a good way always served with melted white bland cheese on top I make a Spanish rice, which is not as dry, and has the obvious onions and peppers in it , which is very good, but I'm looking more for the simple, mexican rice served in my local restaurant. Any recipes or help appreciated, even if not vegetarian Im aware of the use of lard ( not that I use it) so it won't come as a complete shock if some of your suggestions require it. Larry Larry 3 stars 1 reviews