Mexican Rice and Beans as you would find in a recipe help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why do you want bland rice and beans? I always ask for limes, salsa and hot sauce at restaurants to add to mine.

I love tangy, spicy , salty, 'throw everything including the kitchen sink in i't rice too :) , its just that the restaurant that i go to makes simple, plain, bland rice, and thats what Im trying to duplicate.

larry

IMO the rice is supposed to be a mild accompaniment to the spicy and often saucy main parts of the Mexican meal.

Kind of like how you wouldn't want mashed potatoes to be so heavily seasoned they overpower the gravy and fried chicken. Or something like that. :LOL:

IMO the rice is supposed to be a mild accompaniment to the spicy and often saucy main parts of the Mexican meal.

Kind of like how you wouldn't want mashed potatoes to be so heavily seasoned they overpower the gravy and fried chicken. Or something like that. :LOL:

I see what you're saying. I always find myself wanting more, though ;)

Valid thoughts there Cheryl. A plate of gooey rich Mexican entree needs a mild rice.
To me, classic Spanish rice with all the bells and whistles can often be a main dish.

That's the beauty of Mexican food, you can go as mild or spicy as you like! :yum: My brother loves a heavy dose of Tapatio hot sauce sprinkled on his rice. :)

I remember as a little girl, coming to this town I live in now, for the best Mexican restaurants in Ventura county. All I would eat was the bland Mexican rice rolled in a flour tortilla with cheese. My Mom loved hot peppers and I remember watching her with tears rolling down her cheeks. For the life of me, I couldn't understand why she would do that.
I love all Mexican food now with the exception of Mole', but I have fond memories of that Mexican rice, and still like the way it was made then, and now.

I remember as a little girl, coming to this town I live in now, for the best Mexican restaurants in Ventura county. All I would eat was the bland Mexican rice rolled in a flour tortilla with cheese. My Mom loved hot peppers and I remember watching her with tears rolling down her cheeks. For the life of me, I couldn't understand why she would do that.
I love all Mexican food now with the exception of Mole', but I have fond memories of that Mexican rice, and still like the way it was made then, and now.

You don't like mole? Which one? ;)

Valid thoughts there Cheryl. A plate of gooey rich Mexican entree needs a mild rice.
To me, classic Spanish rice with all the bells and whistles can often be a main dish.

+1. I love it with shrimp that has been sprinkled with a good amount of Arizona Dreaming and mixed in with the rice. :yum:

Can't stand any of them GG. There's just something "wrong"about Mexican chocolate mixed with peppers. :ermm: ;) I have close to an iron stomach, but that gives me indigestion from hell. :ohmy:

That's too bad, Kay. Love me a good molé. Every abuela makes it differently, a very long and complicated process.

Qa
That's too bad, Kay. Love me a good molé. Every abuela makes it differently, a very long and complicated process.

True and I'm not sure they all contain chocolate.

DH and I made a Rick Bayless mole once for the teacher capstone event he does. It took all day but it was delicious.

Last edited:
Back when some of us were still on food network board there was this chef who told me how to make massive quantity of "Mexican Rice". Since I cook for a lot of people a lot of times it works. Precook rice. I.e. I use rice that takes 20 minutes to cook. I cook for 15 minutes. Cool down in the fridge, just like rice for Chinese rice. Then you can cook as much as you need, as many portions as you need, same as fried rice. Since it is pretty bland they probably just add a little bit of tomato sauce, probably seasoned, though sounds not heavily seasoned. So, a teaspoon of oil in a hot pan, let it get hot, a cup of cold rice, swirl the rice,then add a table spoon or less of tomato sauce or less. Done.

Put a pan if water on. In a Dutch oven, saute onion, carrots, and celery in some oil. Toast brown rice, once Toasted, add water and bay leaf or two. Salt and water. Cover, reduce heat. Cook for 45-60 minutes. Turn off heat and leave in covered pan for 60 minutes. Remove Bay leaf/ves and turn out on cookie sheet. Reheat in microwave for 10 minutes.

Put a pan if water on. In a Dutch oven, saute onion, carrots, and celery in some oil. Toast brown rice, once Toasted, add water and bay leaf or two. Salt and water. Cover, reduce heat. Cook for 45-60 minutes. Turn off heat and leave in covered pan for 60 minutes. Remove Bay leaf/ves and turn out on cookie sheet. Reheat in microwave for 10 minutes.

And that's a recipe for?

Larry, I don't know if you read the 'what's for dinner' threads and saw my enchilada dinner and Mexican rice pic from yesterday, so thought I'd share it again here.

I followed Kayelle's recipe for Mexican rice given to her by her friend who owns a restaurant, and it's PERFECT. Just the right amount of light seasoning in the rice that you would expect to find in a Mexican restaurant. The only thing I did differently was cut the recipe in half as it's just me here, and I like to add a few peas for color. :) Again, it's very important to sauté the rice first, to get a fluffy rice.

Here's the recipe Kayelle posted:

Quote:
My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry rice for a minute or two. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice.
Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

Here's a pic from yesterday.

Attachments

• enchiladadinner.jpg
    enchiladadinner.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Larry, I don't know if you read the 'what's for dinner' threads and saw my enchilada dinner and Mexican rice pic from yesterday, so thought I'd share it again here.

I followed Kayelle's recipe for Mexican rice given to her by her friend who owns a restaurant, and it's PERFECT. Just the right amount of light seasoning in the rice that you would expect to find in a Mexican restaurant. The only thing I did differently was cut the recipe in half as it's just me here, and I like to add a few peas for color. :) Again, it's very important to sauté the rice first, to get a fluffy rice.

Here's the recipe Kayelle posted:

Quote:
My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry rice for a minute or two. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice.
Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

Here's a pic from yesterday.

If that is how they in her restaurant I want to eat only in her place. Even though waiting for the dish is going to be long, it will be awesome tasting as it is cooked individually. No restaurants are willing to do that today.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

If that is how they in her restaurant I want to eat only in her place. Even though waiting for the dish is going to be long, it will be awesome tasting as it is cooked individually. No restaurants are willing to do that today.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Charlie, I'm thinking that Kay's friend probably gave her the scaled down amounts for the home cook, and that in the restaurant they make it in larger proportions to last throughout the day. When I made it, it was still just as good warmed up the next day. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom