"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Millie, I know what you are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellieKay
I know there is a dessert section, but I am looking for a specific ethnic dessert. If I am in the wrong section, I apologize.
I do not remember the name of this mouth watering dessert, so I am having trouble finding the recipe. It is made with honey and a spagetti looking crispy noodle type medium. there was also pistachios on it. It is not Baklava, but the ingredients were similar. If anyone can help, It would be greatly appreciated. Also, where can one buy the honey used on these types of desserts. It was not like regular store bought honey.

Thanks in advance!
Hello, Millie,

If you will give me a couple of days, I believe I can unearth a recipe for you from one of my dozen Middle Eastern cookbooks.

Ron

Old 07-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #12
Executive Chef

My wife is lebanese but we rarely cook any deserts. Check these out. We have alot of mideastern bakery's near us so we don't have to fuss with making deserts. Phyllo dough can be tricky to work with because it dries out and starts fallin apart vry fast. You must keep it covered and work fairly quickly. I make alot of spinach cheese pies and actually started using regular pie crusts. It worked very well. I just added the filling to the crust in the pie plate and covered it with purchased pie dough. For deserts......check this out. Maybe you can find what your looking for here.

http://mideastsweets.com/osCommerce/pastry_guide.php

Old 07-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

Look at this site http://www.shatila.com/, they sell their stuff, but maybe you can find the name of pastry that you are looking for and then try to find recipe. As far as my self if i was not keeping kosher, I'd order from them on a daily bases, they are soooooooo good.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hello Melissa,

Did you get a chance to talk to the new owner about this tel kadaif recipe?

I am from Turkey and remember some bakeries having better kadaif then others, and some recipes call for milk during preparations and I think milk is the secret ingredient that makes kadaif just melt in your mouth.
None of the web sites I checked has milk in the ingredients but I remember as a child eating some kadaif that would have a white sweet juice underneath. I would love to hear from you if you found the recipe that made your mouth water...
Old 01-15-2006, 05:09 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Check out this site: http://www.shatila.com/

Tags
None