"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Mini: Chili Pepper Guide 2

Good Afternoon,

As mentioned, here is Part 2 of the Mini Chili Pepper Guide covering Latin America Varieties, One USA Chili Pepper, Basilicata, Italia (southeast Italia ) and the Iberian Peninsula.

CALIFORNIA or ANAHEIM CHILI PEPPERS: a fresh green chili with mild piquantness. They are usually narrow and approximately 6 inches long and found in the region of southern California.

JALAPEÑOS: this very popular type of Mexican chili pepper possesses a medium heat to high piquantness. They are a dark green compact and larger than small chili pepper. They strongly resemble the Pimiento de Padrón from Padrón, Galicia, Spain.

POBLANO: this large chili pepper contains a light piquantness and possesses a thick pulp. It is approximately 4 inches long and quite wide. They provide a hint of subtle smoky flavor and are predominately used to stuff and roast or grill. *** I stuff mine with fresh langoustines, shrimps and crevettes.

BASILICATA, ITALIA: the hottest small fiery red chili pepper is called Diavuliccíu, meaning diabolic and devilish in English. It is a Capsicum variety, predominately used dry and sprinkled in sauces, pastas and calzones / pizzas.

GALICIA, ESPAÑA: this indigenious jalapeño looking medium size dark dark green chili pepper called Pimiento de Padrón hails from a small village called Padrón, in Spain´s northwest province, Padrón. These are quite popular sautéed in Evoo, with sea salt, and served a Tapa in taverns throughout the country.

LA VERA, EXTREMADURA, ESPAÑA: Smoked fiery red capsicum is made into a worldwide product known as PIMENTÓN which comes in a sweet or piquant variety and is used to sprinkle on uncountable Iberian dishes including Octopus, Spicy Brave Potatoes, Ibores Goat Cheese with a Pimentón Rind and Cod a La Gallega to name a few. Most foreigners call this product SMOKED PAPRIKA.

CHIPOTLE: This variety are dried smoked red jalapeños. They are commonly used in adobo marinades.

BASQUE GUINDILLAS: these tiny fiery red devils possess quite a kick and are used in numerous Basque Pinxtos which are Tapas ... They are dried, and can also be employed like dry red pepper flakes, just open the little diabolic hook of capscium.

All my best,
Margi Cintrano.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

When a fresh Poblano is dried it's called an Ancho

When a fresh Chilaca is dried, it's called a Pasilla.

In some areas, a a dried Poblano is referred to as a Pasilla but this is a misnomer.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Andy,

Thanks for the feedback and assistance ... Appreciate it.

I learn from my D.C. colleagues too ...

Best regards.
Margi.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Master Chef

And California peppers are dried Anaheim peppers. And Anaheim isnt a region, it's a suburb of Los Angeles.

The hottest small red pepper is the Naga Viper, which you dont want to mess with.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Executive Chef

This note is duplicated on the Mini Guide 1 which contains 8 other distinct types of chili peppers which are CORRECT.

None the less, the 3 resources I used to research this are incorrect too, and not in English however, IN SPANISH. The three sources, are each from another country: Mexico, UK and USA.

Coloquially, I believe all these chili peps have other call names probably because of pronounciation purposes on the USA side of the border.

So, this is another problem.

Well, thanks for the post.

Margaux.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In some areas, a a dried Poblano is referred to as a Pasilla but this is a misnomer.
Yeah, it's surprising how often you see this, even from legitimate suppliers. For example, Melissa's Produce (out of LA) calls them Pasillas. Melissa's also calls them Chilaca, which clearly they are not. Chilacas are thin chilis that tend to become gnarly and twisted as they mature.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Yeah, it's surprising how often you see this, even from legitimate suppliers. For example, Melissa's Produce (out of LA) calls them Pasillas. Melissa's also calls them Chilaca, which clearly they are not. Chilacas are thin chilis that tend to become gnarly and twisted as they mature.
I believe a dried Chilaca is a true Pasilla.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Next time I buy chilis, I'm going to post a photo and ask what kind it is. They usually only say "chili peppers" at the store or it's a Chinese store and they don't know the English, or even the French, name for them. Same at the Indian grocery store.

The only ones I recognize are Scotch bonnets/habaneros, jalapeños, and cubanelles.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Steve, Tax Lady & Andy,

Thanks alot for your feedback.

Thanks for your input and knowledge on subject.
Grazie, Ciao,
Margi.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Wine Guy

Another chili that's very popular here is the Fresno Chili. Many people think they're mature jalapeños, but they are a US variety that was developed in California in the 1950s.

Tags
chili, pepper