"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogababe69 View Post
This dish looks so yummy : ) What is the best cut of beef to use for this? I have tried to make Asian dishes with beef and I can never quite get the tenderness of the meat like they do in the restaurants. Any suggestions? Thanks : )
Thank you. Flank steak would work really good. 2 ways to keep the beef tender. You could do the velveting meathod. Or just sear on both sides in a really hot pan. and remove and add back in at the end.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
That looks really good, PPTop! What kind of chili pepper do you use? recommend?

Welcome to DC, yogababe. Try our site's search function, within a discussion thread, for the term "velveting" to get that soft chinese stir fry tenderness out of beef.
Jalapenos would work but really its up to your heat level.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Thank you. Flank steak would work really good. 2 ways to keep the beef tender. You could do the velveting meathod. Or just sear on both sides in a really hot pan. and remove and add back in at the end.
What is velveting?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
What is velveting?
Msmofet, it's basically a quick marinade to coat the beef, and then a quick flash in the pan... You would then remove it, finish preparing your dish, and add the beef in at the last minute...
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
Sous Chef

I am worried about the cut of beef to use. I have so called "Beef chuck country style ribs boneless" as well as beef back ribs; both are frozen. The girl I am cooking for is kinda paricular about meat so wondering if this will mess up the recipe...

Also they are frozen can I defrost them, marinate overnight and place on the grill? Most recipes call for stir frying this but Ive seen them grill it in a real korean restaurant.

Thanks all..
Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
What is velveting?
The girl in this video nearly drives me up a wall for some reason, but this is a very good tutorial on how to "velvet" chicken, or beef for that matter.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #27
Master Chef

JP, You can, but it will not be Mongolian beef, if you grill the meat. Use chuck. Ribs are good for slow long cooking. This is cooked really fast. The best part would be the flank. But chuk will do if you sliced thin, but then I am not sure how you would grill it...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Msmofet, it's basically a quick marinade to coat the beef, and then a quick flash in the pan... You would then remove it, finish preparing your dish, and add the beef in at the last minute...
WOW!! I have always done that! I never knew that that was a "method" that had a special name! LOL

I marinade in soy sauce, oil, ginger, garlic, cornstarch and sometimes wine or rice wine vinegar.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #29
Sous Chef

ok I am going to go with the beef chuck. But what about marinating? All these recipes usually do it for a short time. Are there any issues if I do it over night? Like I dont think I'd use vinegar..why no overnight?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #30
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
If you use flank steak the other thing you need to do is be sure you cut it correctly.

Lay the steak out so that the grain of the meat is running left-to-right. Take your knife and hold it at @ a 45 degree angle and slice off thin pieces of the steak.

Tags
beef, beef stir-fry, green onion, recipe

Mongolian Beef [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Ingredients:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Beef Marinade:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]8oz Beef sliced across the grain [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 Tablespoons cooking wine (I used soju)[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 teaspoon dark soy sauce [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/2 Tablespoon corn starch[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Veggies[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Sliced onion[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Green onion cut into pieces 3/4 to 1 inch in length[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Chili peppers cut into slices[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/ 4 teaspoon chopped garlic [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/4 teaspoon grated ginger[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Thickening Slurry[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/2 Tablespoons corn starch [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 Tablespoon Water[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For Sauce:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/4 cup chicken stock[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/2 teaspoon sesame oil[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 teaspoon dark soy sauce[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 Tablespoon oyster sauce[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 teaspoon raw sugar[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]First marinade beef with cooking wine, dark soy sauce and corn starch. Let marinade for 15 to 30 minutes. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Make slurry 1 Tablespoon water and 1/2 Tablespoon corn starch.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Make sauce, add all sauce ingredients, mix and sit aside. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]When the pan is hot add oil then beef. Cook until meat is 75 to 80% done, remove from pan.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Cook onion, green onion and chili. When they are almost dome add sauce. When sauce starts to boil return the beef to pan. Add slurry and mix until sauce is thick. Turn off heat and remove from pan. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Serve with rice or noodles.[/SIZE][/FONT] [IMG]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/powerplantop/MongolianBeef-1.jpg[/IMG] [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohpw2e5_4jA[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews