"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland View Post
Most recipes call for stir frying this but Ive seen them grill it in a real korean restaurant.

Thanks all..
The beef cooked this way in Korean restaurants has a sweeter marinade.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #32
Sous Chef

I googled about 7 or 8 recipes for korean flank steak and they all have the same ingredients: soy, sugar, sesame, garlic, ginger...Rachel ray used honey about 2 oz soy and 1 oz honey Otherwise dont see much difference.

Only one recipe called for marinating overnight, but I swear the korean lady next door does it overnight. ANy thoughts on this?

Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland View Post
I googled about 7 or 8 recipes for korean flank steak and they all have the same ingredients: soy, sugar, sesame, garlic, ginger...Rachel ray used honey about 2 oz soy and 1 oz honey Otherwise dont see much difference.

Only one recipe called for marinating overnight, but I swear the korean lady next door does it overnight. ANy thoughts on this?
Depending upon what you put in the marinade over night can improve the out come. However lots of recipies for bulgogi (Korean Version) have fruits like apple that can break down the meat. This is what my wife does so she does not marinade more than 24 hours.

For sweetness the Korean version is a lot sweeter. They use fruits, honey, sugar, brown sugar and Coke.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #34
Sous Chef

that's interesting, the Korean lady if I recall said sesame oil. that and sugar was the only sweet I recall.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Nice looking recipe, PP, I'll take it.

I use flank steak almost exclusively for stir-frys. I never have an issue with tenderness.

Slicing it properly is important. I do it this way for bite-sized pieces.

Start with a whole piece of flank steak laid flat on the cutting board. You will see the muscle fibers (grain) in the meat. Cut the whole steak into 1.5 inch wide strips WITH the grain. Then cut each strip into 1/4" thick slices ACROSS the grain.

Then marinate as directed and you will be all set.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I use flank steak almost exclusively for stir-frys. I never have an issue with tenderness.
Flank steak works really good for this meathod of cooking. Cut and cooked properly it will be tender and taste good.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #37
Head Chef

Pear is the fruit in bulgogi. It has papain, which acts to tenderize the meat.
Same protein as is used in Adolph's meat tenderizer.
(They say it is good to use on insect stings, too, LOL)

Another cut of meat that would be good for this is flat iron steak!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Slicing it properly is important. I do it this way for bite-sized pieces.

Start with a whole piece of flank steak laid flat on the cutting board. You will see the muscle fibers (grain) in the meat. Cut the whole steak into 1.5 inch wide strips WITH the grain. Then cut each strip into 1/4" thick slices ACROSS the grain.

Then marinate as directed and you will be all set.
I think it was you who mentioned this way of cutting beef a while back. It's brilliant. When you try to cut a large piece thinly across the grain, it all wiggles and you don't get very uniform thickness. The narrow strips are better behave and let you get uniform thickness much more easily.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Pear is the fruit in bulgogi. It has papain, which acts to tenderize the meat.
Same protein as is used in Adolph's meat tenderizer.
(They say it is good to use on insect stings, too, LOL)

Another cut of meat that would be good for this is flat iron steak!
I believe the papaya works even better.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think it was you who mentioned this way of cutting beef a while back. It's brilliant. When you try to cut a large piece thinly across the grain, it all wiggles and you don't get very uniform thickness. The narrow strips are better behave and let you get uniform thickness much more easily.

I tend to repeat myself.

Tags
beef, beef stir-fry, green onion, recipe

Mongolian Beef [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Ingredients:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Beef Marinade:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]8oz Beef sliced across the grain [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 Tablespoons cooking wine (I used soju)[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 teaspoon dark soy sauce [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/2 Tablespoon corn starch[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Veggies[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Sliced onion[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Green onion cut into pieces 3/4 to 1 inch in length[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Chili peppers cut into slices[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/ 4 teaspoon chopped garlic [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/4 teaspoon grated ginger[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Thickening Slurry[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/2 Tablespoons corn starch [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 Tablespoon Water[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For Sauce:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/4 cup chicken stock[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1/2 teaspoon sesame oil[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 teaspoon dark soy sauce[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 Tablespoon oyster sauce[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1 teaspoon raw sugar[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]First marinade beef with cooking wine, dark soy sauce and corn starch. Let marinade for 15 to 30 minutes. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Make slurry 1 Tablespoon water and 1/2 Tablespoon corn starch.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Make sauce, add all sauce ingredients, mix and sit aside. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]When the pan is hot add oil then beef. Cook until meat is 75 to 80% done, remove from pan.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Cook onion, green onion and chili. When they are almost dome add sauce. When sauce starts to boil return the beef to pan. Add slurry and mix until sauce is thick. Turn off heat and remove from pan. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Serve with rice or noodles.[/SIZE][/FONT] [IMG]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/powerplantop/MongolianBeef-1.jpg[/IMG] [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohpw2e5_4jA[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews