Mongolian Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
Ingredients:

Beef Marinade:
8oz Beef sliced across the grain
1 Tablespoons cooking wine (I used soju)
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1/2 Tablespoon corn starch

Veggies
Sliced onion
Green onion cut into pieces 3/4 to 1 inch in length
Chili peppers cut into slices
1/ 4 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon grated ginger

Thickening Slurry
1/2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 Tablespoon Water

For Sauce:
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon raw sugar

First marinade beef with cooking wine, dark soy sauce and corn starch. Let marinade for 15 to 30 minutes.

Make slurry 1 Tablespoon water and 1/2 Tablespoon corn starch.

Make sauce, add all sauce ingredients, mix and sit aside.

When the pan is hot add oil then beef. Cook until meat is 75 to 80% done, remove from pan.

Cook onion, green onion and chili. When they are almost dome add sauce. When sauce starts to boil return the beef to pan. Add slurry and mix until sauce is thick. Turn off heat and remove from pan.

Serve with rice or noodles.

img_962819_0_abd4bde73d0a6c7dfc16bae7086eb1ac.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohpw2e5_4jA

Last edited:
Boy, doesn't it (look good)?
I've got half a flank steak left. I could see me attempting this. It would be a great way to use it up.

I wonder how it would work without the oyster sauce (don't have any). I hate to buy it just for 1 tablespoon. Do you think it would make a big difference in flavor? I have never used oyster sauce but I do have some fish sauce in the house. Would that make a good sub?

Very nicely done video....congrats, it looks delectable.

I must admit that I wanted to hand you a good knife though. ;)
I only kid the folks I like, by the way. :)

Thank you! the knifes in this fully stocked apartment are crap! If I had know I was going to be here this long I would have bought a better knife.

I wonder how it would work without the oyster sauce (don't have any). I hate to buy it just for 1 tablespoon. Do you think it would make a big difference in flavor? I have never used oyster sauce but I do have some fish sauce in the house. Would that make a good sub?

For that I would only put a bit or fish sauce and more soy.

Are you still in Santiago? How's your weather wherever you are?

I am quite a bit North of there. But I will be there Wed thru Fri this week. Which is good I need to hit an Asian market.

The weather is awsome. The beach is full everyday.

Last edited:
This dish looks so yummy : ) What is the best cut of beef to use for this? I have tried to make Asian dishes with beef and I can never quite get the tenderness of the meat like they do in the restaurants. Any suggestions? Thanks : )

Last edited:
That looks really good, PPTop! What kind of chili pepper do you use? recommend?

Welcome to DC, yogababe. Try our site's search function, within a discussion thread, for the term "velveting" to get that soft chinese stir fry tenderness out of beef.

Back
Top Bottom