Mooncake Festival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady DeWinters

Senior Cook
The Chinese Lunar Mooncake Festival is just right around the corner. Does anyone have a simple (AND EASY) way of making the mooncakes? I've always wanted to try my hand at making them but don't know how to start. Any tips would be appreciated.

Well, even if you don't know how to make one, do you have a favorite? Mine always has to be the pale lotus paste with egg yolk in it. Gotta have salted duck egg yolk. Yum!

I know what you are talking about, Lady, but I don't have a recipe nor a favorite since I've never tasted one. However, I do recall a segment on an old Martha Stewart program where she gave the history of the cakes. I don't remember if there was a recipe given during the episode.

Have you done a Google search for mooncake recipes. I would imagine you would be able to find some there. Just my thoughts.

The Chinese Lunar Mooncake Festival is just right around the corner. Does anyone have a simple (AND EASY) way of making the mooncakes? I've always wanted to try my hand at making them but don't know how to start. Any tips would be appreciated.

Well, even if you don't know how to make one, do you have a favorite? Mine always has to be the pale lotus paste with egg yolk in it. Gotta have salted duck egg yolk. Yum!

Mercy, you are a cook after my own style - looking for an excuse to celebrate a festival from somewhere and try a recipe. I was looking at Chowhound Boards - Chowhound today for something - oh borsch - so I just went back.
There is a thread - do their search thing for mooncake recipes and it takes you to a short thread which gives you a link. :) How's that for a real short trip! Good luck - I had once thought to order a couple of molds but for some reason l tried some other Chinese things but not mooncakes. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the link. I looked around Chow website and found some good recipes.

I went around Chinatown, asking for those mooncake moulds... boy, were they expensive! Maybe it's the timing because mooncake festival is just around the corner but a mould would set me back about $35!

Youtube has some links on how it's done but no verbal instructions.
YouTube - MoonCake (月饼)

Mooncake moulds

Thanks for the link. I looked around Chow website and found some good recipes.

I went around Chinatown, asking for those mooncake moulds... boy, were they expensive! Maybe it's the timing because mooncake festival is just around the corner but a mould would set me back about $35!

Youtube has some links on how it's done but no verbal instructions.
YouTube - MoonCake (月饼)

You are welcome and thanks. Maybe the price was why I didn't order them from where ever it was online. Probably the price.:( Thanks for the link to the YouTube spots - Won't hurt to look and who knows - maybe you will try them and inspire us to shell bucks out for a mould and try it.:chef:

I'm a chinese Indonesian, so i enjoy moon cake every year :)
As I know, mooncake have 2 type: baked & cold.
I have experience making them during my training at Malaysia.
I think you should see it by your self how to make, especially when they put the filling, mould it, & get them out from the mould.It's fun, but hard to explain by words:wacko:

Last edited:
Hi Caine! Thanks for the Martin Yan's recipe. He always have great ideas.

I once saw Michael Smith (Canadian Chef - Chef at Large) when he attended a class for making mooncakes. He was trying to get the mooncake out for the first time and managed to do it without it breaking apart. That was kinda cool.

I wish there was a school where I am that teaches you how to make mooncakes. Seems easy enough... sorta... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom