"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #1
Head Chef

Moussaka, potatoes or not??

In the past ( back in my meat eating days) when I had Moussaka, I remember there being a layer of potatoes .

I recently searched Moussaka recipes, and most were coming up without potatoes, which leads me to my question:

Traditionally, does Moussaka have potatoes in it , yes, no or just depends on who is making it or the region it is being made in ?

If I do a search of Moussaka with potatoes, sure, I get a bunch of recipes, but the general search seams to lead me to potatoless recipes.

If anyone has any Moussaka recipes they would like to share ( potatoes or not) I'd be interested. Don't worry if its not vegetarian, I have my veg-substitues I can apply to the recipe.

thanks,

larry

Old 08-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never heard of potatoes in moussakka. I have a pretty good recipe; I'll type it up later. I haven't made it in quite a while because DH and I don't like eggplant much. However, I saw a variation in a Greek cookbook using zucchini that I want to try. It will have to wait till the fall, though

Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Larry, my girlfriend and I used to frequent a Greek restaurant in Malden. One day I asked what Moussaka was. It was explained to me as the Greek version of Eggplant Parm. Only with Greek seasonings, not Italian. Oh, that sounded good and it became my go to when nothing else appealed to me. I don't ever remember there being potatoes in it. But I do remember very clearly it was made with lamb and a béchamel sauce. They also had peppered throughout the layers, little pieces of Feta cheese. It did have Parm cheese on top and was a beautiful brown from the broiler. It was divine!

Now you have me hankering for it. I must find a Greek restaurant.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
Head Chef

I have the mother load of eggplants this year, and there is only so much eggplant parm one can eat ( plus my wife is the designated eggplant fryer, and I think she has retired for the year) , so Im looking for other options, and Moussaka came to mind.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Moussaka is not just Greek. Turkey and the Balkan States also have local versions of moussaka,many of which include potatoes. Think of it like lasagna, you put in whatever you like.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Another good use for an excess of eggplant would be ratatouille.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Another good use for an excess of eggplant would be ratatouille.
Unfortunately, my eggplants, zucchini and peppers have not been cooperating nor coordinating with each other this year so Ive kinda had to tackle them individually, trying to buy as little extra ingredients from the store as I have to. That being said, if i have any extra, ratatouille is definitely on the list. Actually, Jacques Pepin has a recipe that Ive done in the past , which is basically ratatouille mixed in with pasta.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

When I did make moussakka, I didn't like how it soaked up so much oil when I fried it, so I started broiling it - just brush slices with oil and broil till browned. I thought it worked much better.

And there's baba ghanoush.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Neve heard of moussaka with potatoes.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I have the mother load of eggplants this year, and there is only so much eggplant parm one can eat ( plus my wife is the designated eggplant fryer, and I think she has retired for the year) , so Im looking for other options, and Moussaka came to mind.
My daughter and I have the same problem when frying eggplant. We eat it as fast as we can get it out of the pan and not burn our mouth. I always buy an extra eggplant because I know what will happen. I deeply resent not being able to eat all of it.

Tags
potato, potatoes