Multiple Meats For Meatballs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually use beef and pork for my meatballs and I usually grind it myself. I also make turkey pork meatballs sometimes but it has to be turkey thigh meat as I find the breast meat too dry.
I either used flax meal or gluten free bread crumbs if I put anything in at all. I can't use egg so I sometimes mix some flax meal and water to make an egg replacer paste and that works well - "beefs" up the flavour too! I use lots of fresh herbs as well.

Just enough water to cover them. I add a T of beef BTB to the water sometimes.

See, that just doesn't sound appealing to me. I bake mine in the oven at 400F for 15 minutes and they get beautifully caramelized and are nice and tender on the inside. I love the brown, crispy crust they get :yum:

See, that just doesn't sound appealing to me. I bake mine in the oven at 400F for 15 minutes and they get beautifully caramelized and are nice and tender on the inside. I love the brown, crispy crust they get :yum:
That sounds good. How big are those meatballs? I imagine that the length of time in the oven depends on size. Do you flip them over half way through baking them?

That sounds good. How big are those meatballs? I imagine that the length of time in the oven depends on size. Do you flip them over half way through baking them?

They're about 1/5 to 2 inches across. Yes, if they were larger, I'd cook them longer. I don't flip them - too lazy ;) They're flat on the bottom, but I don't care. They have little browned crispy lacy edges of fond that develop around and on the bottoms, which is incredibly yummy. Sometimes I eat a few as soon as they come out of the oven. Great, now my mouth is watering :yum: :chef:

I have baked them at a high temp. until they are nicely browned and pan fried them, turning them to brown all sides. Baking is definitely easier. Not sure if there is a flavor difference

I have baked them at a high temp. until they are nicely browned and pan fried them, turning them to brown all sides. Baking is definitely easier. Not sure if there is a flavor difference

It's been at least 15 years since I pan-fried them, so I don't remember if there's a flavor difference. Once I saw someone bake them on a Food Network show, I started doing that and never went back.

They're about 1/5 to 2 inches across. Yes, if they were larger, I'd cook them longer. I don't flip them - too lazy ;) They're flat on the bottom, but I don't care. They have little browned crispy lacy edges of fond that develop around and on the bottoms, which is incredibly yummy. Sometimes I eat a few as soon as they come out of the oven. Great, now my mouth is watering :yum: :chef:
"1/5 to 2 inches across" ??

I have followed recipes that had you turning them part way through baking and that's a real PITA. I'd rather flip them in a skillet. But, as you wrote, they get brown on the bottom, so unless a person really minds a small flat spot, I think your method sounds good. I'm going to give this a try.

I too put mine in the oven. And I turn them over half way through. There is such a great difference in flavor and texture. Never in the sauté pan again! :angel:

Since I live in MT, I just love mixing beef, buffalo and elk for meatballs, chili and meatloaf. Oh yeah hamburgers too!

I also use beef only. BUT I usually use 1 egg for 2 lb. meat, fresh onion, fresh garlic, ground sea salt, ground pepper, ground red pepper flakes, cayenne. LOTS of fresh basil, oregano and Italian parsley.

I use a disher/scoop and also bake/roast mine. I put my oven on 450°F convection roast and cook for about 15 minutes. I also love how nice and brown and crispy they get. NO turning or grease splattering!!
I also won't go back to frying. I have NEVER boiled raw meatballs in the sauce. I don't enjoy the thought of having grease floating on the top of my sauce.

If you stew the balls long enough they will become very tender...just don't over do it because they will fall apart.

I also don't simmer my meatballs for very long in the sauce for that reason that they fall apart. I bake and drain them. Then I only simmer what I need in the sauce for the meal as needed.

Last edited:
By baking them on a rack placed on a cookie sheet with sides, the meatballs will not be sitting in a pool of grease. A really nice flavorful crust will have formed on the meatballs. And they will be more healthy with all the grease gone. If they are allowed to form a crust on the outside, they shouldn't fall apart when placed in the gravy. If you place your meatballs in the gravy, another layer of flavor will develop.

I also use milk on the bread, not breadcrumbs. The enzymes in the milk break down the meat making it much more tender.

Unfortunately, in today's world, we often have to choose between healthy eating, or flavorful eating. But if you bake your meatballs and with the right seasonings, you can have both. :angel:

Since it is hard to find anything but extra lean ground beef or pork, I don't worry about the grease. If I put a rack under my meatballs, I would have an extra item to wash when I'm done making the meatballs.

Since it is hard to find anything but extra lean ground beef or pork,...

I'm surprised you don't have ground beef with various fat percentages. I regularly see 80%, 85%, 88%, 93% lean ground beef. Not sure Ive ever seen lean ground pork. I guess our locations offer different selections.

I'm surprised you don't have ground beef with various fat percentages. I regularly see 80%, 85%, 88%, 93% lean ground beef. Not sure Ive ever seen lean ground pork. I guess our locations offer different selections.
We used to get choices. It's even worse for me because I tend to buy organic.

Since it is hard to find anything but extra lean ground beef or pork, I don't worry about the grease. If I put a rack under my meatballs, I would have an extra item to wash when I'm done making the meatballs.

I was sort of surprised at that statement too. I can get ground beef in the supermarket from 70% to 93 % lean. I prefer something around 80-85%. Seems to just work best for most of my hamburger needs. If there is too much fat cooked out, there are ways of dealing with that too. I prefer making my own choices rather than having them made for me.

Last edited:

So true Andy. Come shop in Chelsea. It is so hard to find lean. Sometimes the beef is so loaded with fat, you can see the white streaks of it in the ground hamburg. But anytime London broil is on sale, it makes for great hamburg. So I will buy two or three of them and use my KA meat grinder. I will also buy a surplus supply of chuck cuts when they are on sale for the same purpose. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom