"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Multiple Meats For Meatballs?

I am going to make a bunch of meatballs tomorow, and so many recipies use a mix of ground beef, ground pork, even veal or lamb. or chicken or turkey.

I am confused. Why mix the different meats? Usually, when I am in the Mood to eat beef, I eat beef. Or if I:m in the mood for pork, I eat pork, etc.

Is this a flavor or texture thing I am missing here?

Why mix the meats?

Eric, Austin Tx.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #2
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
I am going to make a bunch of meatballs tomorow, and so many recipies use a mix of ground beef, ground pork, even veal or lamb. or chicken or turkey.

I am confused. Why mix the different meats? Usually, when I am in the Mood to eat beef, I eat beef. Or if I:m in the mood for pork, I eat pork, etc.

Is this a flavor or texture thing I am missing here?

Why mix the meats?

Eric, Austin Tx.
I used to wonder about this. I think it may be to do with both flavour and texture, i.e. combining a lean mince like turkey/chicken with something more succulent/fatty like pork mince. If you have ever fried off turkey mince on its own - or even lean steak mince - you will notice how dry and stringy it can be. (I tend to add pancetta).

Old 05-22-2015, 06:21 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good question Giggler. I never thought about it. I always use beef for meatloaf or meatballs.

There was a time, way back in my past, when it was possible to get a mixture of meats for meatloaf. I don't recall any special taste, but it quickly became too expensive for me to use.

I can understand the use of ground pork to add to low fat ground beef to add the fat flavor. I use a mixture of 70/30 beef, plus 1/3# of ground pork sausage for the flavor.

I tried 80/20 ground beef, but decided I'd rather have the fuller flavor of 70/30 beef.

I found that a hamburger made with 80/20 beef didn't have the flavor I wanted, and usually tasted and looked like a hockey puck. LOL

Thanks for the good question, Giggler. I'll be looking forward to hearing the answers you have provoked.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I think they are just going for an original, particular flavor. I usually go with beef, but have used just about everything....as said previously, pork sausage meat is great to use at its flavor comes through well. If you stew the balls long enough they will become very tender...just don't over do it because they will fall apart..this is where the addition of egg will help prevent them from falling apart.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I always make meatballs with 1 pound of ground beef, at least 80/20, and 1/2 pound of ground pork. I like the flavor and texture of the mix better than meatballs made with all beef. I think they're more tender.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Cook

The butcher shop I use sells 'meatloaf mix'. Part beef/pork/veal.
Pretty tasty meatballs/meatloaf. Flavor texture excellent.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

The difference is in texture and flavor vs. just beef. I use 1Lb beef and 1Lb veal and 1/2 Lb pork as the base.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Executive Chef

A popular mix found in the meat case of my local market is quite tasty - 60% ground beef plus 40% ground pork. This is a wonderful mix for meatballs, meatloaf, hamburgers and casseroles.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hi Selkie! It's good to hear from you.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Just like most recipes, everyone has a different take. Do what tastes good to you.

Tags
meat, meatballs