"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
TheMetalChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
I'm a bit confused....

What Asian influences convinced you to mix cheese with seafood?

I was under the impression, based on research and word-of-mouth from folks who live in China and Japan that fermented dairy products (cheese et al) aren't even a part of the vast majority of Asian cuisine...
__________________

__________________
We've moved the show to DailyMotion.com!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightCooker View Post
Scallop Volcano Roll

...
Wow!

Feel free to elaborate on this one...
__________________

__________________
Ravings of an Amateur Foodie
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
Mr. Greenjeans
 
bigdaddy3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,741
I must have Pho. No skimping on the tripe. Please please please!
__________________
No matter how many Bibles he swears on, when a dog tells you he's a vegetarian, he's lying.
bigdaddy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
 
TheNightCooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 35
Send a message via AIM to TheNightCooker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
I'm a bit confused....

What Asian influences convinced you to mix cheese with seafood?

I was under the impression, based on research and word-of-mouth from folks who live in China and Japan that fermented dairy products (cheese et al) aren't even a part of the vast majority of Asian cuisine...
Hello, why are you confused? I live in America, Dallas Texas to be exact. Although cheese is not an acient chinese tradition, the way that the lobster is cut up and cooked is strictly asian. Cooking has changed in modern times and you will find the use of cheese, its not just not practical. Here in Texas, you will find this same cheese fried lobster in almost ALL authentic style chinese restraunts, which is a $35 plate for 1 lobster. This is the ONLY dish on the whole menu that use cheese. I guess you can say its westernized, but let me tell you something... it is very delicious.
__________________
Seafood
TheNightCooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
Senior Cook
 
ErikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 283
Those pictures are simply amazing. I just wish I could sample these in more than a visual way...
__________________
Erik

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
TheNightCooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 35
Send a message via AIM to TheNightCooker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikC View Post
Those pictures are simply amazing. I just wish I could sample these in more than a visual way...
Thank you very much. I really need to invest time and money into photography. I plan to build a recipe blog, but i cannot do that until I take presentable pictures.
__________________
Seafood
TheNightCooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Mr. Greenjeans
 
bigdaddy3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,741
I think your pics are very presentable. I know they may not have fancy backgrounds like a cookbook but to a cook or foodie they showcase the dish nicely. I'm sure I am not in the minority when I say I looked at those pics and thought "I gotta taste that."!
__________________
No matter how many Bibles he swears on, when a dog tells you he's a vegetarian, he's lying.
bigdaddy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
appleyard14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 163
I need that dumpling recipe, and the dipping sauce as well!
__________________
appleyard14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 266
Wow. Looks so amazing. Whoever gets to eat at your house is sure lucky. The cheese lobster looks ineresting. I've never had anything like that before.
__________________
Let's Pour Tea!
Calya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
Senior Cook
 
TheMetalChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightCooker View Post
Hello, why are you confused? I live in America, Dallas Texas to be exact. Although cheese is not an acient chinese tradition, the way that the lobster is cut up and cooked is strictly asian. Cooking has changed in modern times and you will find the use of cheese, its not just not practical. Here in Texas, you will find this same cheese fried lobster in almost ALL authentic style chinese restraunts, which is a $35 plate for 1 lobster. This is the ONLY dish on the whole menu that use cheese. I guess you can say its westernized, but let me tell you something... it is very delicious.
I was just confused about the whole cheese with lobster pairing and its assignment as asian-inspired.

Not criticizing the dish, it just threw me off - I was baking my brain trying to recall somewhere in Asia where they eat cheese at all, never mind with seafood. Heck, that pairing is pretty much strictly verboten anywhere but the US (and in some parts of France...) - but if it tastes good, do it, by all means!
__________________

__________________
We've moved the show to DailyMotion.com!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.