"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

My First Curry Attempt

Tonight I am trying a few new things (for me). I am going to make a curry which I have never done before. I am also going to just make up a recipe out of my own little head. This is something I am not very good at yet, but I am trying to learn how to do it.

I have all of these items on hand so this is what I am thinking, but I would love suggestions from everyone here as well.

I have chicken breasts brining right now. I also have garlic, onion, potato, string beans, curry powder, coconut milk.

I was thinking of sauteing the garlic and onion to start. I would then add the curry powder and brown the chicken and set aside. Then adding the coconut milk and possibly some chicken stock along with the potatoes and cook covered until the potatoes are tender. Once the potatoes are just about done I would add the chicken back in to finish cooking and then the string beans. This would all be served over rice of course.

What are your thoughts? Does this sound like it will work? Are there any trouble spots you see or anything you would change?

Old 04-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Head Chef

Sounds like a good start. Do you have carrots or some sort of sweet potatoes on hand? Vietnamese variations: You can put it over noodles w/ a blend of shredded romaine, matchstick cucumbers and bean sprouts for Vietnamese style. Or eat it w/ French bread. Note that Vietnamese curries tend to be more "watery" than other styles of curry. Also if you have a stalk of lemon grass, add that too. Beat the hard part before you add it to your stock and let it simmer. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I think I do have some carrots. Thanks for the great suggestions HTC!
Old 04-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Head Chef

Sure thing, don't forget to let us know how it turns out! You're making ME crave curry now. I haven't made any in months.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Head Chef

GB! sounds like a good recipe! i'll tell you how i would make curry though....i never use a curry powder,i use my own spices,which make a fabulous curry,but your recipe will turn out good i'm sure,one thing though! u dont have to take the chicken out though,just brown the onions 1st,when they are light reddish brown,add minced garlic and ginger,fry for another couple minutes,add tomatoes and fry a little and add chicken,fy for 5-7 minutes,add big chunks of peeled potatoes,fry another 5 minutes ,add water or chicken stock(whatever you like,water is just fine too,because it gets cooked with the chicken,it turns into stock automatically),turn down the stove and let simmer covered until the meat and the potatoes are tender.i use lots of other spices after frying the garlic,like cumin,corriander podwer,a little termeric etc,but since you are using curry powder,i think its all included in it.....
Old 04-13-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

What kind of curry powder do you have?

Most southeast asian curries use curry paste, which will have very different ingredients than most dry curry powders.

Most dry curry powders have turmeric, fenugreek, cardomom, etc. which make it more appropriate for Indian-style curries.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Bombay Brand Madras Curry
Old 04-13-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
Master Chef

Indian. Yummo.

I would rub the curry powder into the chicken.

Then cook the onions/garlic in some ghee. Then I would add curry powder and cook that in the ghee, too.

Then I would add water or chix stock and the potatoes; when potatoes are nearly done add greeen beans and chicken back to cook. Then add coconut milk (most recipes using it call for you to add it at the very end).

-----------------

Next time consider skipping the coconut milk and making a curry paste. Use tomatoes, cauliflower, okra.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Jenny!!! Great suggestions. I am off to make my ghee now :)
Old 04-13-2005, 03:14 PM   #10
Head Chef

Hi GB, I understand this is your first attempt and I am sure it will come out fine with the suggestions you got so far. If you enjoy this version do give another version a try. The second time around get braver :-) and buy some fresh spices and items such as curry leaves, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, whole dried red chillies that give curries such a unique flavor. I can post many many recipes but I think the essence of a true simple curry has been captured by Sarah. I like to give my curries a change from your normal by using yogurt, cream, ground nuts , caramalized onions and sour cream (I think you have heard me mention that before) for a milder creamier taste. Also contrary to what you may have heard, ghee is not essential for cooking curries, it's good if you have it but you don't absolutely need it. I have been out of India for almost 17 years now and have seldomly used ghee.

Happy Cooking

Tags
None