My Greek Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moon Flower

Washing Up
This is my version which I made while on holiday recently in Greece. It is so easy that anyone can make it. Just choose a nice creamy feta and don't forget to annoint it with extra-virgin olive oil.

Take time in choosing the feta cheese because some can taste bitter and salty. Visit a trusted deli and buy the best on offer.

Do not skimp on the extra-virgin oilive oil. Use the best you can afford. As a guide, first estate-produced extra-virgin olive oil per 500 ml costs IRO £12.50. Not cheap. But it will go a long way. Alternatively, buy commercially produced, but excellent extra-virgin oil in a 1 gallon can, price of which is between £25.00 and £30.00. It should last a family a good two years if not more.

My Greek Salad serves 4

4 juicy ripe red tomatoes, randomely chopped, prefarably vine ripened still on the stalk
1 red onion, sliced
half cucumber, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
5-10 hot green pickled peppers
a generous handful of black Kalamata olives
rocket leaves, torn. Please note lettuce is never used in Greek salad
about 1 teaspoon dried oregano
extra-virgin olive oil

First, place the chopped tomatoes in the bottom of a serving bowl
Scatter the red onion slices and mix in with the tomatoes
Add the sliced green bell pepper, the same and then the hot peppers
Put the torn rocket on top and finally, a nice generous slab of feta cheese

Annoint the feta with extra-virgin olive oil, then sprinkle the dried oregano on top and the remainder over the salad.

Note: Mum says to avoid pitted olives because they have no taste.

Jill

Mum is teaching me well. But she's firm. I did a midnight raid on the fridge and got caught red handed with three chocolate mooses. :blush:

what were the mooses excuses?

lol, j/k jill.

very nice job on the salad. :chef:

do you find using all rocket/arrugula to be too bitter?

i like to mix in some spinach or romaine when it gets that way, towards the end of it's growing season.

what were the mooses excuses?

lol, j/k jill.

very nice job on the salad. :chef:

do you find using all rocket/arrugula to be too bitter?

i like to mix in some spinach or romaine when it gets that way, towards the end of it's growing season.

It's mousse. The other variety has antlers and will hoof my ars off a mountain quicker than a Kalymnian goat! :LOL: I may be scientific of mind, but I ain't no speller.

Thanks for your comps on my salad. I like rocket because it has a peppery taste, but not all rocket is pungent. In England here, supermarkets do a variety of which some have a milder taste. Spinach leaves like on Mum's Greek salad can also be used.

Romaine? Is that a lettuce of some sort? If it is then I'll send a Kalymnean goat your way. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom