Need an Asian Dish for someone w/ lots of allergies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Being Jewish I like to eat "Chinese Food" on Christmas, and by that I mean any Asian dish. We have invited a guest who is allergic to fish and citrus and due to stomach issues cannot eat anything on the red column in this list, IC Diet List.
Also, It needs to be strictly kosher. See here Kashrut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia any ideas? I am thinking about beef and broccoli but I can't use Soy Sauce so bare minimum I would need a substitute for that.
Thanks In Advance:chef:

I just made this Egg Foo Yung again tonight. Delicious! You could substitute something else for the pork.

EggFooYung

1/2 lb Bean sprouts
1/2 Onion, yellow, sliced thin
1/4 lb Pork, roasted (can also use crabmeat, beef or chicken), in shreds
Vegetable oil
salt to taste
1 ts Sugar
6 Eggs
1 ts Oyster sauce
1 ts Soy sauce

Gravy:
2 c Chicken broth
Pepper, black to taste
1 ts Soy sauce
3 tb Cornstarch
6 tb Water, cold
1 Scallion, finely chopped, for garnish
Sesame seeds, toasted, for garnish

1.Heat wok or skillet, adding 1 tb oil. Stirfry bean sprouts, onion, pork/crabmeat for 2 minutes with salt and sugar to taste. DO NOT OVERCOOK! Let cool.
2.In a separate bowl beat the eggs, add oyster sauce and soy sauce; mix well.
3.Add the stir-fried ingredients and mix thoroughly. Heat wok, add 1 ts oil and 1/2 c of the mixture in the wok. Fry about 2 minutes on each side. Place on serving dish and set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and mixture.
4. For gravy, bring broth to a boil. Add salt, sugar, pepper and dark soy sauce. Prepare cornstarch mixed with cold water for thickening; add the seasoned broth and cook for 1 minute.
5.Pour gravy over patties and garnish with the chopped green onion and toasted sesame seeds.

Here it is before I poured gravy over it.

eggfooyungko7.jpg

And here is a recipe to sub for soy sauce. Cooks.com - Recipe - Soy Sauce Substitute

I also made Oven-Fried Rice again tonight. Another recipe that's very versatile and may be adapted to meet your friend's needs.

Oven-Fried Rice

3 small onions, roughly chopped (or one very large onion)
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
2 cups fresh snow peas, roughly chopped in about half
1 tsp brown sugar
1 small can chicken broth (14 oz)
2 cups UNCOOKED rice
¼ cup soy sauce

Garnishes:
Green onions
Scrambled eggs

Optional: cooked cubed pork or chicken, shrimp, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots

Mix together all ingredients with the rice (do not pre-cook any ingredients, except for meats, if used) in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Cover with foil and cook for one hour at 350, stirring every 15 minutes.

Mix in chopped green onions and scrambled eggs just before serving.

Good luck!

Lee

To be perfectly honest it's going to be pretty impossible to cook asian food that tastes truly asian without using soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce or hoisin sauce -- all of which are off limits.

I see coconut is ok, as are a lot of of the spices that make up curry. Ginger is ok. Lemongrass isn't citrus. I don't know if lime leaves would count as citrus.

I might then suggest a mild beef or chicken Thai curry with vegetables served over rice or rice noodles.

I was going to suggest something similar to what jennyema did. I have made it before (recipe below) and it tastes pretty good.

4 Chicken Breasts- cut into thin strips
Veggies - carrots, bellpeppers, broccoli cut into small florets and any others that you have (I like to use baby corn cut into smaller chunks)
Garlic - 4 cloves finely chopped
Ginger - 1/2 stick grated
Yellow Onion thinly sliced

Garnish - Finely chopped scallions and cilantro

Sauce Ingredients - Dried red chillies (arabol), 2 tsps of freshly ground cumin Seeds, 2 tsps of freshly ground corrainder Seeds, Tamarind Paste 1/4 tsp (it's sour but not part of the citrus family or skip and use zest of a lime if your gues can tolerate it), Brown sugar 1 tbsp, handful of cilantro, coconut milk. Blend all of this together and reserve.

Make some regular spaghetti (break each strand into 3) and then boil, drain and reserve.

In a pan, add some oil, add the garlic, ginger, chicken and let it cook until no longer pink. Add the veggies, cook all of this until veggies are slightly tender. Add the noodles, sauce and stir to combine. Allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes more. Garnish with cilantro and green onions and serve.

I specialize in cooking for special diets and have become quite adept at substitutions.

A dish you can make quite easily is ginger beef and broccoli. I noticed ginger is on the yellow list, but if they can tollerate a little, that is all you need.

Buy a small round roast or a round steak and cut it on the bias into 1 inch wide by 3 inch long thin strips.

Stir fry the meat in some vegetable oil until done and remove from the pan. Stir fry some large dice onion (yellow list when cooked) and a couple of minced garlic cloves for about 1 minute, stirring so garlic doesn't burn. Add some diagonal sliced carrots and your broccoli, and stir fry until tender crisp. Add some fresh mushrooms, and continue stirring. Add meat back in and turn heat down. Add some fresh minced ginger or dried ginger powder, salt, pepper, and stir in. Mix some cornstarch in fresh beef broth (preferably home made or from a market, but ask what they put in it). Add some stock to the pan and then pour in your cornstarch mixture. Add more stock as you need to get the right consistency.

There is a product that parallels the flavours of soy sauce and is safe, but I can't remember right now the name and it is also expensive and hard to find. If you build up the flavours of the ginger and garlic and have a hearty stock you shouldn't need it.

You can make a chow mein with bean sprouts, fresh chow mein noodles (in the produce section, check the ingredients), julienne of carrots and green beans, etc. and make a similar sauce as above using chicken stock.

Hope that helps. PM me if you like.

Well, I'm late to the party, but did you think of Asian Desserts? Things like sesame dumplings or sweet potato would avoid the red list. They're good for cold winter nights, also!

Back
Top Bottom