"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-30-2006, 04:25 AM   #11
Sous Chef

An easy and healthful fough idea is to just buy pita pockets and let everyone make their own Greek pizza (great with tomatoes, feta, and olives). Of course, that wouldn't be the "pizza" your kids would expect. For four indivisual "Italian" pizza dough:
Put either 2 1/2 tablespoons of fresh cake yeast or 1 package of dry yeast in a warm mixing bowl. Add 1 cup lukewarm water. Stir in a little pinch of sugar and mix with a fork. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes until the yeast has dissolved. Next mix in 1 TBS salt with 2 cups white flour until the dough forms a mass and begins to pull away from the sides. Sprinkle on about another cup of flour so that it won't stick when you knead it. Knead the dough for eight to ten minutes until its elastic and smooth. Form a ball with the dough. Oil a mixing bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Stretch a dish towl across the top of the bowl and leave it to stand for 40-50 minutes for the dough to rise (to test if its risen, poke two fingers into the dough- the indent should remain). Punch the dough with your feast to relieve air and knead for 1-2 more minutes. Make four indivisual balls. In floured pans that are about 10 1/2 inches in diameter, pat the balls of dough into flat circles. Roll out thickness to about 1/4 of an inch with a rolling pin. Roll the dough to about 1/4 of an inch larger than the pan. If you are using a rounder pan, press some of the dough towards the edge. Now your pizza is ready for filling!
The possibilities with filling are endless. What's really yummy is using instead of sauce 1 1/2 tbs of EVOO on each pizza. Top that with either cheese or just meat and vegitables (EVOO + many many thinly sliced onions = better than cheese). If you use cheese, use WHOLE MILK cheese. Do you wonder why the cheese on most pizzas of today doesn't stretch all the way from the way from the pie to your plate in ooey gooey strings like it did in the olden days? Three evil words: Part. Skim. Mozzerella. Not stretchy at all, way less ooey gooey. Using good, full-fat cheese is more expensive but is ten times better. And don't think you're limited to mozzerella and parmesian cheese. White chedder with canadian bacon is delicious. Other good cheese options: Goats cheese (diced), sharp Cheddar (grated), Gorganozola/general Blue cheese (sliced), Feta (just kinda sprinkled) or really anything you want. Again, the possibilities are endless. This is your pie, make it how you want. The best pizza recipe is made of a combination of toppings that you invented yourself. And since you have kids, they'll definatly like getting to choose their own.
And don't forget to add yummy herbs!

Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Someone mentioned using fresh mozzarella on their pizza, which is a great i dea, b/c fresh mozzarella is wonderful! However, when using frsh mozz. do you grate it or thinly slice it to add to your pizza? I have always had a lot of trouble grating fresh mozz. b/c it is so soft.

I don't know is this is strange or not... but I often use the jarred pasta sauces by Prego, Ragu, or Bertolli. I like thick hearty sauces with lots of herbs though, and I find using these premade sauces is much easier than using canned pizza sauce and adding my own herbs.

Some great topping combinations, IMO:
spinach, mushroom, and fresh grated garlic (GREAT when deep-dish)

italian sausage, sliced or ground, with a tomato-basil sauce, and peppers

a sauce-less pizza, spread the crust lightly with olive oil, top with fresh herbs and shredded chicken breast, and top with grated parmesan

BBQ chicken pizza is also a good one, but go easy on the BBQ sauce, and use cheddar or colby-jack cheese

Here's one I did once, that turned out well, and quite different from most pizzas. I made a rich and thick mushroom sauce and topped the pizza with only that and cheese.

I love pizzas because they are really like a blank page that you can express your culinary vision on.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:18 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I have made pizza several times each time its diff!!at times its not so good i mean the base the toppings usually are on ...i feel my dough is not rite !
Old 06-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #14
Master Chef

Most supermarkets sell ready-to-bake pizza shells in their refrigerated or freezer sections, & all the brands I've tried have worked quite well. The only brand I'm not too fond of is "Boboli", as I find the crust too thick & doughy.

My favorite jarred pizza sauce is "Ragu Pizza Sauce" - works great on regular pizza, as well as little individual English Muffin "pizzas", although most of my homemade pizzas are white (ricotta based), with no tomatoes or red sauce.

Other than that - the sky is the limit. I like to do mine with toppings that aren't easy to find here in VA - clam & garlic, turkey pepperoni, mixed wild mushroom, mixed seafood, etc., etc.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
Senior Cook

O.K. lots of good suggestions, now here is the REALLY easy way.... also fast and GOOD, and can be a fun participation for the kids.

1. Buy a Boboli Thin Crust Pizza shell at the grocery.
2. Make sauce by taking a can of tomato sauce in a sauce pan, add powdered garlic, oregano, thyme, and basil. Bring to simmer.
3. Obtain your desired toppings.
4. Add sauce, toppings and shredded mozzarella in any sequence you like.
5. Bake in 425 oven for 8-10 minutes
6. Consume with gusto.

Tags
None