Need something zippy to add to cornbread ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I have a basic recipe and it's fine. I see Martha Stewart, in the May edition of her magazine Living adds honey and lemon zest.

I see on Spark People that someone adds some fresh thyme.

What do you add, for flavor ? Thanks

From your post, not sure if 'zippy' means the same thing to you as it does to me. For 'zippiness', I add red pepper flakes, or some minced jalapenos or chipotles.

+ 1
Chopped canned green chilies (1 small can per batch) - you could also add some cheddar cheese if you want to live high on the hog.

I don't like spicy foods. I'm sorry - zip meaning .. something interesting to add. Like orange zest, etc/

OK - then how about some fresh sage (finely chopped) and a little nutmeg. :)

I'm Southern American so cornbread is a staple I grew up with. Although my grandmother always made plain buttermilk cornbread, living in Texas, I got used to tex-mex cornbread. I've done several of the suggestions here, from adding fresh spices and herbs, to using bacon, and the corn and chili's. The great thing about cornbread is you can do just about anything! I may try that cranberry one at thanksgiving...haha

I'm sorry - what do you mean, you are Southern American? Are you from the South ? Or from South America ?

I'm sorry - what do you mean, you are Southern American? Are you from the South ? Or from South America ?
Well, I usually say I'm southern or from the south but since I moved to Canada no one understand what I mean by that so I had to start saying Southern American. As opposed to my husband, who is actually, south american. haha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom