"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 07-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Nepalese bhutan and tibet

nepalese bhutan and tibet cusine if anyone can explain the cuisine with examples i would be most grateful.

nicklord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Head Chef
Nepali food is very similar to Indian food. It has it's own unique name for curry - tarkari. The spices used are similar to Indian food as well. I had some Nepali friends who invited us to their house one day and the food was pretty much all similar to what Indian's cook (I should know being from India :-))

I am not sure about Bhutan and Tibet but I would bet it borrows from Indian and Chinese to a great deal given they are surrounded by these countries. I know that in Tibet there are a fair number of vegetarians (Buddhist monks) and the food is very simple.

Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Thank yakuta do you have any examples
Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Sous Chef
We found a Nepalese restaurant by accident one night (we had never seen one before, in a place called Crows Nest near Sydney, Australia), the dishes look similiar to Indian and the one I had actually tasted similar, the one my bf had tasted like somehting i had never had before, but had the exact same consistancy eg. the gravy, or curry as most people call it, their pickles are 100% different. I don't know any examples sorry as i can't remember what i orderd, i believe i got a menu, i normally do. It was really good though! (except for the pickles)
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:01 AM   #5
Senior Cook
Thanks sounds cool yeah there is a nepalese near me now in london . I hope you had a great time and quote some dishes on this thread when you have time