"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Our daughter (13 ), and alot of her friends, love spaghetti taco's. Spaghetti noodles mixed with marinara sauce, no meat, put into hardshell taco's. Strange , i know, but they all just love it here.

That stems from watching ICarley on Nick

Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #32
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
wow, this thread got cleaned out. . .

Anywho, been fooling around with a Bhan Mi type taco:

Roast Pork Belly, cracklings and all
Julienne of carrot
Daikon radish
Sliced jalapeno
Fresh Cilantro
A little fish sauce(optional)
A "sauce" of Sweet Thai Chili sauce w/ Mirin, and green onion. . .it's more of a drizzle, as the "sauce" has no body to it.

You can either use Soft Flour Tortilla, Soft fresh Corn Tortilla, or the large Mu Shu pancakes.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Always made my taco meat as such, all measurements are approximate since I never measure it.

1 lb. ground beef, 90/10 is best since you won't have neon orange grease running down your hands as you eat them and it won't soggify your taco shell
1/2 onion, fine mince (I don't like chunks of onion in my tacos)
2-3 cloves garlic, fine mince
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 T chili powder
1 t ground cumin, freshly toasted/ground if possible
1/4 t dry Mexican oregano
1/2 cup dihydrogen monoxide, beef stock works well if you have home made with no salt otherwise it can get too salty when you reduce it
Vegetable oil
salt and pepper

In a large skillet over medium high, add some oil and quickly sweat the onion and tomato, once onion is translucent add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the beef and cook with the sofrito. Grind in some pepper while the meat is still raw. Once meat is mostly cooked add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and season with salt. Finish cooking the beef and add the dihydrogen monoxide to the pan and drop the heat to let it simmer. Simmer until the dihydrogen monoxide is almost all evaporated, stirring occasionally, and the meat has the consistency of, well, taco meat. The pan should be mostly dry and the meat should hold itself together with no liquid dripping from it.

Obviously nothing fancy, but that's how I was taught to make Tex-Mex type taco meat and it's pretty close to what you would get at any Tex-Mex restaurant around here but it tastes a lot better because they usually use powdered garlic and powdered onion, and canned chopped tomatoes.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Always made my taco meat as such, all measurements are approximate since I never measure it.

1 lb. ground beef, 90/10 is best since you won't have neon orange grease running down your hands as you eat them and it won't soggify your taco shell
1/2 onion, fine mince (I don't like chunks of onion in my tacos)
2-3 cloves garlic, fine mince
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 T chili powder
1 t ground cumin, freshly toasted/ground if possible
1/4 t dry Mexican oregano
1/2 cup dihydrogen monoxide, beef stock works well if you have home made with no salt otherwise it can get too salty when you reduce it
Vegetable oil
salt and pepper
I hear that DHMO stuff can be pretty dangerous... Sufficient quantities can cause asphyxiation.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
Master Chef

When it comes to tacos I like the simple, traditional, Mexican style tacos I make at home or from many of the street vendors and taco trucks in this region. Street tacos are the best.
I'm not too crazy about American tacos.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Our daughter (13 ), and alot of her friends, love spaghetti taco's. Spaghetti noodles mixed with marinara sauce, no meat, put into hardshell taco's. Strange , i know, but they all just love it here.
Fusion tacos!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #37
Traveling Welcome Wagon

For homemade tacos I don't like to use taco seasoning in my meat. I like mine fairly simple. First I brown some ground beef with some garlic, salt, and pepper. Sometimes I cook chopped onion with the meat, sometimes I add raw chopped onions to the tacos, and sometimes I do a little of both. From the bottom up my taco is basically a crisp corn shell, meat, shredded cheese, onion (if not just in the meat), shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole or chopped avocado (if we have it), and salsa.

As much as I love tacos, I love tostadas even better. My tostada is, from the bottom up, a flat crisp corn tortilla, heated refried beans, meat (as done for tacos), shredded cheese, onion, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole or chopped avocado, and salsa.

My loaded nachos are about the same as the tostada, but with tortilla chips, and the other ingredients kind of plopped all around.

Tags
None