"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Senior Cook

New ideas for tacos?

Tonight I made tacos for dinner and I usually make it from a box recipe but I'm getting bored with that. Anybody have some ideas how to spice up my tacos?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Could you share your box recipe? That might help people provide ideas that aren't part of the box recipe.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Sure :) I usually buy the Ortega taco kit which supplies the hard shells, taco seasoning and taco sauce. I use fresh ground beef and add the lettuce tomatoes and cheese. I'm just bored of the packaged stuff and would like to learn how to make tacos from scratch!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You might try any of these: Pickled radish, cabbage slaw, diced avocado, smashed up beans, mixing chorizo in with the burger. Also, marinated minced pork (see Panzeretti's recent recipe), crema, diced fresh peppers, olives, green onion. Switch up with shredded chicken or fish. Flour or soft corn tortillas. Different cheeses. Any packet of taco seasoning, or make your own!

Love tacos!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I make tacos in one form or another all the time. I just made some new (to me) tacos last Sunday. Tacos are fun because you can vary them so much by just changing a few simple things, hard shell, soft shell, sauce, ground burger, grilled steak, chicken, fish, different cheeses... and I've made these before, too, for something really outside the box Must Have Mushroom & Cheese Tacos - Recipes at Penzeys Spices
Nothing wrong with the box either. It's TNT IMO. I prefer Old El Paso shells though, as they are lighter tasting than Ortega. Plus you can get them in super stuffer size.
Loooooove tacos.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
I make tacos in one form or another all the time. I just made some new (to me) tacos last Sunday. Tacos are fun because you can vary them so much by just changing a few simple things, hard shell, soft shell, sauce, ground burger, grilled steak, chicken, fish, different cheeses... and I've made these before, too, for something really outside the box Must Have Mushroom & Cheese Tacos - Recipes at Penzeys Spices
Nothing wrong with the box either. It's TNT IMO. I prefer Old El Paso shells though, as they are lighter tasting than Ortega. Plus you can get them in super stuffer size.
Loooooove tacos.
Agree on the OEP box tacos, Pac.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Loooooove tacos.
Thanks for that link. I think I'll try that but I don't know about adding carrots lol
Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I buy taco seasoning in bulk from penzys, which is great for seasoning other things. I will take some of the seasoning, lime juice, fresh garlic and some olive oil and make a marinade for chicken, let it marinade for a couple hours in the fridge and grill ( pound mine flat before marinating for even cooking). I slice the grilled chicken and use what ever toppings I'm in the mood for, I prefer the flour tortillas for this one.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by She Eats Cheese View Post
Thanks for that link. I think I'll try that but I don't know about adding carrots lol
Well you said you were getting bored
To tell the truth, I didn't even notice the carrots, but they had to be good for me... Being a veggie and all
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I can be daring so I'll give it a try. Not Sure if my husband will like it!

Tags
None