"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 10-15-2006, 07:34 AM   #11
Head Chef
Hello AnnieKyung. Have a look at this link. There are links to recipes and a bit of debate on various national variants. There's also a recipe for a type of dough.

Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:03 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to Biberche
Phyllo dough bought in the supermarkets here in the USA is too thin and flaky for this kind of pie. For the real deal you would have to make the dough yourself (I have made a New Year's resolution to learn how to do that). If not, try to find ethnic stores, Turkish, Albanian, Serbian - they might carry somewhat thicker version.

The variations that I had were made with cheese, cheese and spinach (or other greens), meat and mushrooms (more modern version, I believe). Throughout Balkans you encounter these pies or boureks, very similar, but very different.

Biberche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:18 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
Yes, Biberche, I think we are talking about the same dish. The phyllosheets were to thin and flaky! I will check out the recipes for the dough on chowhound.
AnnieKyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:24 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Annie, In case you want to try your hand at making your own fillo pastry, below is the recipe:

1/2 kg flour
4 tbsps oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup water

After having put aside a little of the flour for rolling out the dough, mix the rest with oil and salt, combining loosely. Add the water to the dough kneading constantly on a floured surface. Allow to stand 20-30 minutes in a warm place. After this, separate the dough into 6-8 balls, depending on the amounts and the thickness of the pastry you want to use.

Personally, I do not enjoy making my own pastry as it's very time-consuming. I am thankful that where I live, they are available in various types, thin sheets for Baklavas and sweet pies, medium size for savoury pitas (pies) and shortcrust pastry for finger food.

In case you do not know, fillo sheets when freshly baked are very crispy and become soft after a day or so, thereby giving a chewy texture. When that happens, bake them slightly in the oven again.
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
Thank u Boufa. I like your recipe alot, it seemed very simple, and I dont need to go shopping for ingrediense. I will try it. What I am looking for is that chewy texture, so it seems perfect

AnnieKyung is offline   Reply With Quote