Not So Mole Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonifan1

Assistant Cook
Hello!
I made a recipe titled "chicken mole" tonight from the book High Flavor, Low Labor by J.M. Hirsch. Having had incredible mole sauce in Mexican restaurants before, I expected something very different when I made this recipe - a more chocolatey, dark and rich taste. Instead, the overwhelming taste was that of almond butter and ground clover. This dish went over a bed of rice-other ingredients in addition to ground cloves and the 1 cup of almond butter included: cinnamon, red pepper flakes, 2 cups chicken broth, chicken, whole onion, garlic (6 cloves), crushed tomatoes, salt, 1 slice soft white bread in small pieces - I didn't really get the bread addition. The author said that he adapted this recipe from several by Rick Bayless. Overall - the recipe was pinkish-light brown - kind of gruel-like and unappetizing to look at. The sauce was such a disappointment. ----- Any suggestions as to how to make a much better, more chocolatey mole sauce - a true mole sauce?

Thank you!

Addition

Thought I'd just add that I'm more interested in a somewhat easy mole recipe - not the kind that's going to take an entire day (like, say, a Rick Bayless mole that requires 20+ ingredients). Although I'm sure that would taste incredible - I'm looking for a recipe that's a bit more practical in terms of time and number of ingredients. Thanks!

Traditional Mole, takes all day and 20 + ingredients. Maybe you should look for a jar of it in the ethnic section of the grocery. The only time saving I ever saw when making mole was to make a huge batch and divide it, freezing the extra until you needed it again.

Traditional Mole, takes all day and 20 + ingredients. Maybe you should look for a jar of it in the ethnic section of the grocery. The only time saving I ever saw when making mole was to make a huge batch and divide it, freezing the extra until you needed it again.

+1

The stuff in the jar is really pretty good.

Same here, Dona Maria. For as often as I use it one jar lasts a year.

I helped make mole once...my Sister-in-Law makes it twice a year and I was there for Thanksgiving and helped. She's Hispanic and was the one that told me about the jarred if I wanted it at home. It took two weeks to create that Thanksgiving feast.

Thanks, all. One of these days, I'll roll up my sleeves and attempt a true, multi-ingredient, all-day mole. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom